This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

There are a lot of trends that came into popularity in the early 2000s that worked for the time and carried over in the 2010s and early made in into the 2020s. However thankfully they have been adjusted to fit the aesthetics of the late 2010s and early 2020s. One way we can recognize this shift is by looking at how pants trends have changed so dramatically. We’ve gone from low rise flare pants, though this is making a come-back, to high-rise mom jeans and white-wash to patterned.

As fashion trends come and go with each year, many of these trends listed were extremely popular in their time but are now being pushed out by new styles.   

1. Bangs to curtain bangs

I don’t necessarily think bangs are an inherently bad hair style, on the right person they shape the face and can make a long face look smaller. However, the curtain bang trend is something that works on almost everyone and works to frame the face, creating a slimmer shape and adding a unique flare to the typical middle part. I personally have curtain bangs and I like them because it allows me to middle part my hair, while hiding my ears and adding more depth to the look. 

1. Short-shorts to jean shorts

I personally do not like short-shorts anymore. When I was in 8th grade all I wanted was a pair of white American eagle shorts, now that I have those I feel that they don’t work in the same way. As I have gotten older I have larger thighs and I feel like short-shorts just aren’t flattering in the same way they used to be. This is why I’m drawn to the ‘jean cut-offs’ look that became trendy this past summer. It shapes your body better and is a comfier, more casual look. 

1. Skinny jeans to mom jeans

I feel about skinny jeans the same way I feel about short-shorts. They just aren’t as flattering on me as they were in middle school. I like mom jeans because I feel like I can swim in them a bit. I like a looser waist and baggy legs, making them almost feel like pajama pants. 

1. Tights to stockings

Obviously, tights are still trendy, especially with the wave of patterned tights, but I do think that we saw a lot of tights with shorts in the early 2000s, which is something I pray we never see again. Knee high stockings were also popular in the early 2000s and are making a steady come back. It was a trend I tried to make happen my freshman year of high school and crashed and burned, but is now making a splash in Lolita-esq fashion looks. This is how fashion works though, some things are thought of as unacceptable and then 5 years later come back into the  

1. Smokey eye to cat eye

I have seen some smokey eye looks still in 2021, but it feels like a variation of the aggressive, dark eye that used to rule the going out scene in the early 2000s and 2010s. This look has now been replaced with the casual cat eye.  

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.