This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By, Katelyn Lam

New York City is world renowned for its culture, food, architecture, entertainment, media and so much more. Due to the city’s diverse population, food is something that truly ties everyone together and helps others express and share their culture. Food is truly an icon in New York City, with so many options such as delis, bakeries, restaurants and street carts which allow everyone to dine at familiar places and branch out to new cuisines or flavors. There are even parts of the city dedicated to showcasing certain cultures, such as Koreatown, Little Italy and Chinatown. 

As an avid foodie and someone who is always down to try something new, New York City is the perfect playground for my palette. I will never hesitate to pay for food the way I hesitate to purchase a new clothing item. Although a dish is not a physical item, I can cherish it just as much because not only is it delicious, but it’s an experience and a memory. Today I wanted to share my top three must-try NYC restaurants to spark some interest and hopefully persuade you to try something new or familiar yet elevated.

Thursday Kitchen 

Thursday Kitchen, a hidden gem in the East Village, is my all time favorite restaurant. You know the food is going to be amazing when there’s a line forming down the block before the restaurant even opens. They don’t take reservations, which is nice because you won’t be on a waitlist for months and everyone can experience this restaurant. The ambiance is great as well, dim lights, lively music, interesting people and no dress code. Thursday Kitchen has extremely innovative flavors due to its Korean-Italian fusion dishes. The dishes are served as tapas, so for my fellow indecisive readers you won’t have to be torn between two dishes. You can get both! When I go I like to get a bunch of dishes to share so I can taste as much of the menu as possible. The dishes range from $11-$17, and in comparison to other places in the city the prices are more than reasonable. Every dish is so unique and hits every note on your palette: acidity, creaminess, crunch, sweetness and umami. A few of my favorites are the edamame dumplings, kimchi paella, lucky noodle and bread pudding. I wish I could eat that paella at any minor inconvenience. Whenever my friends ask for a recommendation for a first date, dining with family or korean food I always recommend Thursday Kitchen first. 

La Pecora Bianca

Although I am usually opposed to restaurants with multiple locations, La Pecora Bianca has changed my bias. In my mind, why go to a chain restaurant out of all of the amazing places in the city. However, their whipped ricotta, meatballs and iconic rigatoni are truly unlike any other in the city. Each of their seven restaurants are well lit, beautifully decorated and make you feel high end. One must-try dish of theirs is the rigatoni with vodka sauce and stracciatella (add burrata for an even better bite). This dish is so fresh due to their made in house pasta and the way sauce perfectly fills the tube of the noodle, making each bite burst with flavor. This is a great place to catch up with friends, take cute pictures and even read a book while sipping on a cappuccino. 

Jongro BBQ

Whether it’s a special occasion or you need a lively atmosphere to hangout with friends, Jongro BBQ is the place for you. Jongro is in the heart of Koreatown and is my absolute favorite place to get banchan (Korean side dishes) and barbecue. The restaurant’s elevated design is intended to look like the shops on the streets of Korea. These wooden huts, structures and luxurious green leather booths allow for you to sit back and enjoy not just the food, but also the atmosphere and the time it took to create it. Like most Korean barbecue restaurants, you start out with sides such as spicy cucumbers, kimchi (spicy fermented cabbage), fish cakes, stemmed egg and a sweet potato salad. The steamed egg is done differently here; it comes raw, and they place it on a huge flame so you can watch it bubble and become a soft succulent bite. It is seriously so good that my stomach is growling now! Their marinated and unmarinated meats are amazing quality, so flavorful and absolutely delicious. I strongly recommend getting the beef platter and the kimchi stew, both are just so good.  The restaurant not only has amazing food, but it’s a place to connect and celebrate. Since the meat is cooking in front of you, it’s fun to flip it yourself, serve others and find the perfect flavor profile with the rice and sides. I first was taken to this restaurant back on April 19, 2021 for a special occasion, and to this day the memory I shared with that special person will always be tied to the great food experience we shared. Whenever I pass the restaurant, even on my way to eat at another place, I smile and remember the good time there and moments we shared.

Overall, there are more than three amazing must-try restaurants in New York City. There are so many that if I wrote about them all I would run out of storage on my computer. These are just my personal favorites that I always will go back to, recommend and rave about to others. I strongly suggest checking these places out and opening your mind to new flavors, cultures and experiences!

Katelyn Lam

Manhattan '24

Hi there! My name is Katelyn Lam, I am a junior here at Manhattan College. I am from Maryland and currently majoring in Marketing. I am passionate about food, my kitty Mochi, exploring the city and the importance of mental health. I look forward to being in a group with talented females and being able to use Her Campus as an informational and creative outlet!