The Third British Invasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I struggle to sit down and write this new article because all I want to do is dance. While I mention in previous playlists that those songs listed will make you dance, they all pale in comparison to this one, I guarantee it.

My absolute favorite genre, and attempting to not sound pretentious about it, is British rock (brit-rock, however you want to call it). In most cases, when the United Kingdom is mentioned in conversation, several things come to mind: accents, the Union Jack, cold weather, One Direction and bad food. However, what should be at the forefront of people’s minds is the British music scene. It is punching, it is anthemic, it is mercilessly in your face. In short, it is certainly something that should be at least ninety percent of your music library. With accents flowing freely and the bass crunching your head, this playlist is one that will get your heart-racing and off your feet.

“Our Bovine Public” by The Cribs, off of their record, Men’s Needs, Women’s Needs, Whatever.

I chose to open this playlist with this track not only because it opens their 2009 album, Men’s Needs, Women’s Needs, Whatever, but because I think it perfectly encompasses the energy of the British rock scene, that you, yes, you, are missing out on. The Cribs are not afraid to tell you exactly how they feel in “Our Bovine Public”, and quite frankly, that’s how most songs should be. This song will get you off your feet, no contest, and you’ll be kicking in your skinnies and your trainers in your dorm room like it’s nobody’s business.

“Meantime” by The Futureheads, off of their eponymous debut, The Futureheads.

There is a direct correlation between a band’s success and how loud their bass is; I’m not kidding. Try and listen to this song and deny the epic-ness of the opening bass line. Ross Millard’s accent makes the lyrics hit that much harder, but they’re delivered so suavely that even if you were the recipient of his insult (“I said you were a moron / When I said it / I was smiling / So you’d think that I was joking.”), you’d be pretty okay about it. Just keep dancing, it doesn’t matter.

“Apply Some Pressure” by Maximo Park, off of their album, A Certain Trigger.

Again, that accent! A non-traditional love song, but a quintessential one regardless. How much simpler life would be if people would apply some pressure to their relationships to see how they turn out in the end. Maximo Park brings a ton of energy to their records and they’re even more incredible to see live. Practice your air guitar and don’t even attempt to sing along in your American accent; just let the British invade.

“Always Where I Need To Be” by The Kooks, off of their record, Konk.

A more polished of a sound. The Kooks created a song that is something you can play in the background when you’re kicking it back with your friends. The chorus is infectious; I mean, who can really deny singing along with “Doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo”? You can’t, and if you think you can, you’re lying. Stop that.

“Norgaard” by The Vaccines, off of their debut album, What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?

Posed with that question, I’m not sure what I expected from The Vaccines, but, I do know that they went above and beyond the call of brit-rock duty. “Norgaard” is a song that makes you want to jump on your bed and kick a lamp over or throw a chair out of a window. Get destructive (I will not be held accountable for your room damages fees, however), be a punk rock star. Leather jacket not required.

“Take Me Out” by Franz Ferdinand, off of their eponymous debut, Franz Ferdinand.

The real question is, why haven’t you been listening to this band? This section will be loaded with bias, solely because Franz Ferdinand happens to be my favorite band, but they are the epitome of the British rock sound of the early to mid 2000s. The beginning of this song is iconic and the tempo shift into the rest of the song is to die for. If you wanted a definition for an anthemic song, it’s this one. You can’t resist singing along and stomping your foot along with it. You’re either dancing, or I’ll find you and make you dance to it. This is not an empty threat.

“Mardy Bum” by Arctic Monkeys, off of their record, Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not.

Is your heart pounding? Because mine certainly is. I figured it was only appropriate to slow it down a bit with a song by Arctic Monkeys, something old; you know? Everyone is familiar with their most recent record AM, but honestly, this record is far superior. This song is one that you can lay back and enjoy Alex Turner’s accent in all its glory. But, by all means, if you feel like swaying a little bit to it, I won’t stop you. While in the middle of the song, it begins to pick up, but it’s still relaxed. Yet, it’s just as in your face as the other tunes in this playlist.

“I Predict A Riot” by Kaiser Chiefs, off of their debut, Employment.

You want to run? Make this song your track. You have to go to class? This song. You want to dance? Need I say more? You’ll be screaming that you predict a riot when there is certainly no sign of a riot. But a dancing riot? Well, we need one of those. Spread the music love, man.

“Backfire At the Disco” by The Wombats, off of their record, A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation.

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any more discos around, but “it backfired at Fenwick’s” doesn’t have the same ring, you know? This beat is fast and wiggles easily in your mind where it will stay for the next couple of days. Don’t think you’ll be listening to anything different for this week; Brit-rock is here to stay.

“Munich” by Editors, off of their album, The Back Room.

The guitar in this song is will get your heart racing and jumping about your room. Tom Smith’s voice is unique and certainly a voice that will haunt you throughout your classes. Air guitaring during these three minutes and forty-six seconds of bliss is certainly encouraged. Pay attention to the bass, it will ruin your life with its sheer strength and awesomeness.

I am currently a senior at Manhattan College double majoring in English and Communication with a concentration in advertising. When I'm not writing about music, I'm usually eating soup dumplings or petting dogs - ideally at the same time. I'm proudly American with a half-Chinese and half-Italian heritage. You can follow me on Twitter at @ChuChuTrain. I'm funny sometimes.