Things to Expect When You Attend Manhattan College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The Class of 2020 will be here before we know it and there are some ground rules they’ll need to know right off the bat. Don’t fret, young freshman (who have a great, pun-worthy graduating year) because soon enough you’ll be spending the best four years of your life in Riverdale, New York, in the greatest city in the world. Get prepared for the small details you might not get on your tours or orientation days– this is the real 411 on all things MC.

Family members/friends making comments about “What’s a Jasper?” or “Why is Manhattan College in the Bronx?”

Once you graduate, people will start bugging you about where you’re going to college. When I started getting this question, I would respond with “Manhattan College, in the Bronx” which definitely through some for a loop. Why is it in the Bronx if the name is Manhattan? Well, the school moved here in 1922 to accommodate for its growing size and popularity in its small location near Canal Street and decided to keep the name because it had caught on. Then, the follow-up question about our mascot is inevitable. Brother Jasper introducted baseball to our school way back when and he also (fun fact) is credited with the creation of the 7th inning stretch used at baseball stadiums around the country today. The more you know.

Tons of green t-shirts.

The perfect bribe for students to check out an event? Free t-shirts. But with a school color like kelly green, expect your wardrobe to be overflowing with the color within weeks. I probably own at least eight green shirts from different events or clubs when before I had nothing green to wear. This won’t be a problem, and plus you’ll get to go to some really cool events or join awesome clubs. 

Free pizza = Broadway Joe’s

Speaking of free things: when there’s free pizza, there’s Broadway Joe’s. It has prime real estate sitting right on busy Broadway at the base of a college campus, so it’s no surprise that their pizza is a staple of every occasion. (My personal favorite is the chicken pizza).

Knowing Locke’s workers by name (and sometimes security guards, too).

If you’re living on campus, you’ll be in Locke’s constantly which leads to seeing familiar faces. A campus favorite is Jarvis, who sometimes comes to the basketball games to cheer on the team. Everyone in Locke’s is super nice, along with the security guards. It doesn’t hurt to know their names and it especially doesn’t hurt getting to know them and talk to them. 

Cherishing elevators more than anything.

We know, there’s a bunch of stairs. Eventually, you’ll figure out all of the shortcuts and elevators around campus. At least we don’t have to worry about the freshman fifteen either. 

Quadding.

Love it, live it, (possibly) skip class for it. When the weather just makes you want to lay outside on the Quad, that’s when you know it’s Quadding season. Students are out throwing a frisbee, doing homework on the Chapel steps or sunbathing on the grass. It’s the epitome of a stereotypical college movie but it’s the best time of the year.

Loving every minute of college.

You’re going to meet some amazing people from all over and make friends that will last a lifetime. The years go quick, as everyone will constantly remind you, so make the best of them and accept everything Manhattan College has to offer! You won’t regret it.

Class of 2019. Communication Major. Film Studies/Digital Media Art Minor. Maryland girl exploring NYC and writing all about it! Follow me on Instagram: @taylorbrethauer and Twitter: @itstaybytheway Stalk my photography blog here: throughtaylorsviewfinder.tumblr.com