Studying Abroad: Why Every College Student Should Consider it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

You never realize the beauty of comfort, until you are taken out of your comfort zone. Fall semester of 2014, I ventured off to study abroad in Barcelona, Spain. Living only 10 minutes away from home when at college definitely did not prepare me for my move halfway across the country. Not only was I preparing myself to start a life in Spain for 4 months, but this was also my first time ever traveling to Europe. I was enrolled to attend an “exchange program” at a private Catholic University located right in the heart and center of Barcelona. I always knew that I wanted to study abroad during my college years, but I never actually thought I would bring myself to do so. Choosing to study abroad in Barcelona was the best decision I have made thus far in my young life.

Choosing to study abroad is a vigorous decision to make, but after having experienced life in another country, I cannot imagine not have participating in a beautiful opportunity like this.

When studying in a foreign country such as Spain, you are exposed to such a different way of life; one that definitely takes some getting use to, especially coming from the United States. First, the best and worst part of Barcelona- language barriers. When choosing to study in Spain, I was well aware that my high school level Spanish knowledge would not get me very far. 6 months later, I am able to proudly say that I can now somewhat hold a conversation in Spanish, and follow a conversation when it is spoken around me. One of the coolest parts about being in another country is picking up their native language, even if it takes some time. Yes, most people understand a certain level of English there, but the culture shock of not always being able to communicate with natives really pushed me to learn the language, and for that I am forever thankful.

One of the best parts about studying abroad was the convenience of traveling throughout Europe. I was lucky enough to travel to 9 different countries during my duration over seas. Spending weekends at Oktoberfest in Germany, and Saturday nights under the Eifel Tower in France was probably the most surreal thing I have ever gotten to do. Walking the streets of a different city almost every weekend gave me more insight and knowledge than any textbook ever will.  

Lastly, the friendships I formed while living in Barcelona are ones that I would have never had the opportunity to make if it wasn’t for my eye opening decision. Being enrolled in an exchange program, I was the only American in my entire university. My international program consisted of a number of young adults from many different European countries. Before going to Spain, I was never expecting to have best friends all around the world, but now I can say I do. The relationships I formed are ones that I will carry in my heart for the rest of my life.

When reminiscing about my experience in Barcelona, all I can do is hope that every college student considers studying abroad. Not only do you get to enjoy and experience all of these different beautiful countries, but also it is such a growing experience. Stepping outside of American soil allowed me to see the world from a completely different perspective. It made me more open to different cultures and different ways of life. I now understand another language, have become more educated than ever, and I gained a sense of independence.

As cliché as it is, studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain changed my life for the better. I hope that one-day every college student is able to experience something as beautiful as I did. 

Junior at Manhattan College. Major in Public Relations and minor in Business Marketing