Wellness

Songs to Listen to Based on Your Horoscope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Zodiac signs are a fun and different way to contemplate the reality you live in and the matters that affect the world around you. Many believe that the zodiac signs your birth date falls under help explain who you are and your general characteristics. In this article, I have contemplated each of the astrological sign’s unique traits to provide you with a song that best resonates with your sign’s perceived personality. 

Aries (Mar. 21 – Apr. 19): ‘Bad Girls’ by M.I.A

This song by M.I.A is an anthem of empowerment, defiance, and being in control of yourself. Its rhythm and lyrics are assertive, radiating a powerful sense of confidence and rebelliousness similar to the traits possessed by the Aries’ signs. This song encapsulates the very nature of the Aries: independent and free-spirited. 

Taurus (Apr. 20 – May 20): ‘Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)’ by Stevie Wonder

This classic love song by Stevie Wonder is about loyalty, commitment, and devotion. Taurus signs are known for their stability, sensuality, and dedication to their loved ones. Once they make a decision, especially in their relationships, they fully commit themselves to that person, making this song a romantic anthem for the Taurus signs.  

Gemini (May 21- Jun. 20): ‘Drive Me Crazy’ by Lil Yachty

Lil Yachty’s ‘Drive Me Crazy’ practically screams Gemini vibes. Its energetic yet relaxing flow features lyrics about the playfulness of falling in love but also the unpredictability. Geminis are known for their duality of nature, being able to jump from spontaneousness to a focused sense of mind. This characteristic of ‘two sides’ is prominent throughout the song, as falling head over heels for someone is both exciting and scary at the same time. 

Cancer (Jun. 21 – Jul. 22): ‘Recess’ by Melanie Martinez

A relaxing melody filled with an abundance of metaphors about childhood and the burdens of adulthood, Melanie Martinez’s ‘Recess’ is perfect for the sensitive nature of the Cancer signs. The song is about removing yourself from the toxicity in your life and understanding that it’s OK to take a break when times get difficult. These water signs are often associated with being deeply emotional and nostalgic at their core, which highly resonates with this song’s meaning and tone. 

Leo (Jul. 23 – Aug. 22): ‘I’m Every Woman’ by Chaka Khan

What song is better for a Leo than one that radiates powerful confidence? ‘I’m Every Woman’ by Chaka Khan (and later covered by Whitney Houston) is a song about the strength and versatility of women. The song embraces the idea that a woman can do anything she sets her mind to, emulating the self-assurance the fire sign possesses. 

Virgo (Aug. 23 – Sept. 22): ‘Heybb!’ by Binki

At surface level, this funky beat may not seem like it matches the meticulousness and practical essence of the Virgo. Still, its lyrics on analyzing and deeply contemplating the interactions with their lover prove to be much like the earth sign. Virgos are extremely dependable signs. The song embodies these signs in the sense that the singer appears to want reassurance and commitment, which resonates with Virgo’s desire for stability.  

Libra (Sept. 23 – Oct. 22): ‘Dreams’ by Fleetwood Mac

Ruled by Venus, the planet of love and relationships, Libras’ desire for balance and understanding embodies this song’s exploration of relationships and yearning for balance. The song evokes the listener to reflect on the complexities of love, resonating with the thoughtfulness of Libras. 

Scorpio (Oct. 23 – Nov. 21): ‘Call Me’ by Blondie

This anthem of desire and intensity connects with the passion that dominates the water sign. Scorpios are known for their elusive and mysterious personalities, being one of the most misunderstood astrological signs. The song’s ‘hidden’ layer of emotion beneath the catchy rhythm might resonate with the Scorpio signs.

Sagittarius (Nov. 22 – Dec. 21): ‘Great DJ’ by The Tings Tings 

This lively and upbeat song is about a DJ bringing joy to a depressing environment through their music. Known for their positive outlook on life, Sagittariuses would most likely enjoy listening to this song, as the beat makes you want to get up and dance. Just as the DJ was able to bring joy to a gloomy situation, Sagittariuses light up any room they walk into. 

Capricorn (Dec. 22 – Jan. 19): ‘Space Song’ by Beach House 

The delicateness of this song by Beach House deeply reminds me of the essence of Capricorns. Similar to the earth sign’s ability to deeply contemplate reality, the song evokes a nostalgic reflection about one’s journey throughout their life. ‘Space Song’ feels dreamy, yet makes you feel alone with your thoughts. The Capricorn’s forward-thinking nature allows them to greatly appeal to this song. 

Aquarius (Jan. 20 – Feb. 18): ‘Life on Mars’ by David Bowie 

The inquisitiveness of an Aquarius allows them to connect with this song’s themes of escapism and questioning the state of the world around them. Known for their ‘alien-like’ perspective, it’s not that far-fetched for an Aquarius to dream of a life on Mars as a form of distraction from their reality. They view matters differently than the other signs and are deeply intrigued by hypothetical realities, making them the perfect match for this song. 

Pisces (Feb. 19 – Mar. 20): ‘Line Without a Hook’ by Ricky Montgomery

With an upbeat rhythm about raw emotions and vulnerability, the Pisces signs might find themselves relating their personal situations or feelings to this song. The sign’s ethereal quality of their emotions matches the description of the bittersweetness of love throughout the song. 

Co-Star Astrology’s website aided me in determining the main characteristics of each zodiac sign, thus allowing me to choose songs I felt best represented each sign. All of the 12 astrological signs possess unique and generalized characteristics. You can match these qualities to specific aspects of your life, down to the music you listen to. I hope that you find these songs and their melodies to resonate with you and your sign!

Niamh is a junior at Manhattan College studying Marketing with a minor in digital arts and humanities. She loves animals and heavily enjoys art, music, & podcasts.