Style > Beauty

Selena Gomez Released New Rare Beauty Lip Oil – Here’s What It’s All About

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Calling all makeup enthusiasts – new release alert! On March 27, Selena Gomez announced the launch of her new Rare Beauty Soft Pinch Tinted Lip Oil, in stores and online at Sephora, Kohl’s, Space NK, and of course on Rare Beauty’s website. 

As described in her Instagram announcement, Rare Beauty’s new product is not your average lip oil – it’s “an innovative lip jelly that transforms into a lightweight oil giving your lips the perfect pinch of color and shine.” This lip oil is long-lasting, and markets itself as “never-sticky.” The two main acting ingredients in the product are jojoba seed oil and sunflower seed oil. The jojoba seed moisturizes and creates a protective barrier over lips to lock in hydration, while the sunflower seed oil is antioxidant-rich and aims to soothe and protect lips from environmental stressors. One of the best parts about it? The oil can be wiped off to reveal (or if left long enough will naturally dry down to) a beautiful non-transferrable stain that will last you the rest of the day. 

Selena has told multiple news and beauty outlets that the formula for this product took her and her team two years to perfect. The biggest thing she aimed to combat was the stickiness of traditional lip oils – which is where the idea of a jelly-turned-hydrating formula was created.

The product officially dropped with eight different colors in stores and online on March 30 at 12 a.m. PT but released a day early on Sephora’s website, where it sold out within the week. 

The lip oil is inspired by Rare Beauty’s previously released Soft Pinch Liquid Blush, which unsurprisingly, also went viral. Selena’s goal was to make the lip oil as comfortable and buildable as the beloved blush is.

For a designer lip oil, Selena delivered on all fronts – quality, quantity, accessibility, and price. This lip oil, which holds 3 ml, retails for $20. Compared to other name brand lip oils, such as those from Merit and Haus Labs by Lady Gaga, Selena’s product is cheaper, offered in more color selections, and is available both in stores and online in a variety of makeup retailers.

As of right now, the lip oil is sold out at both Sephora and on Rare Beauty’s website. However, due to its popularity, you should expect a restock fairly soon. 

Reviews for this lip oil stand true. On Sephora’s website, the product has already garnered nearly two thousand reviews with a 4.3 star rating. Many users noted the silky smooth texture of the product during application, and a soft yet noticeable stain after use. Users also commented on the light texture compared to the heavier formula of traditional lipstick and stains. Any complaints and lower-star reviews seemed to stem from personal preference – not any issues with the product itself. 

Overall, it seems this new beauty steal is definitely worth a try when refreshing your spring makeup bag. The lip oils are offered in a variety of shades of nudes and pinks, perfect for the warmer seasons. Make sure to keep an eye out for a product restock in the future – I know I’ll be running to buy one. 

Grace Cardinal is the Social Media Editor at the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter. She loves designing Instagram posts on Canva to promote her team's work. Apart from Her Campus, Grace works as the Editor-in-Chief of The Quadrangle Student Newspaper and as the Assistant Lifestyle and Opinions Editor for the fashion magazine on campus, Lotus. She is currently a junior and is majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations and a minor in political science. In her free time, Grace loves taking dance classes at Broadway Dance Center and finding new coffee spots around the city. She's always down for a night in or out with her friends. Grace has been passionate about writing since childhood and she hopes you enjoy her content!