legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM

Rom-Coms You NEED to Watch This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Emily Gianni

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and it is not all about the dates this year. Leading up to Valentine’s Day, you NEED to watch these rom-coms.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

Starring: Kate Hudson (as Andie) and Matthew McConaughey (as Benjamin)

Cry factor: No tears shed

Andie tries to do everything to make Ben fall in love with her and then make him hate her within 10 days. At the same time, Ben says he can make any girl fall in love with him. Andie has to write an article about ‘how to lose a guy in ten days’ to keep her job. In the middle of both of them trying to achieve the goal they set for themselves, they end up catching real feelings for each other. This movie is a perfect, funny, romantic movie for Valentine’s Day.

Mamma Mia (2008)

Starring: Meryl Streep (as Donna Sheridan) and Amanda Seyfried (as Sophie Sheridan).

Cry factor: Maybe not you, but I cry everytime I watch this movie: the ending is so good!

Sophie is about to get married to her fiancé, Sky. Sophie never grew up with a father, just her mother Donna. She reads her mom’s diary and finds out she has three possible fathers. The only reasonable thing to do is for Sophie to invite all three men to her wedding, without her mom’s knowledge. This movie is about new love, old love, break-ups, and reunions. This is by far one of the best movies of all time and it is a MUST WATCH.

Life As We Know It (2010)

Starring: Katherine Hiegl (as Holly) and Josh Duhamel (as Messer)

Cry factor: You will probably cry in the beginning, I definitely did…

Holly and Messer have a horrible first date: a date so bad they go on hating each other. They both become the Godparents to their best friend’s daughter. Holly and Eric unexpectedly become her guardians, and they have to learn to co-parent together. This movie will make you laugh, cry, and absolutely fall in love.

Just Go With It (2011)

Starring: Adam Sandler (as Dr. Danny Maccabee) and Jennifer Aniston (as Katherine)

Cry factor:  Not at all.

Danny pretends to be married so he can enjoy dates with no strings attached. He does not want to fall in love again after being left at the altar. He meets a woman named Palmer, who he wants to be with more than anything and drags his coworker into the mess; he makes Katherine pretend to be his ex-wife. Somehow, Danny, Palmer, Katherine, Katherine’s children, and other friends end up on a flight to Hawaii for a group vacation. Danny does get a girl in the end, but who is the ultimate question.

Love, Rosie (2014)

Starring: Lily Collins (as Rosie) and Sam Claflin (as Alex)

Cry factor: YES.

Rosie and Alex grew up as best friends. Alex moves across the world from Dublin to America.  This movie involves a three way love triangle between Rosie wanting Alex, Bethany wanting Alex, and Alex torn between the two girls. Rosie keeps a huge secret from Alex when he moves to America. Will he find out? Who will he end up with? Watch to find out!

Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

Starring: Constance Wu (as Rachel) and Henry Golding (as Nick)

Cry factor: No tears here.

Rachel goes to Singapore to meet Nick’s family. When she gets there she realizes that his family is, well, crazy rich. Not only is his family rich, but Rachel learns that Nick is one of the country’s best bachelors. Rachel feels the pressure by everyone there, seeing if she is really worthy of being with Nick, especially his mom. Nick’s mother does not approve of the relationship because she does not think that Rachel is good enough for her son. This movie is super funny and you can watch it over and over again!

Isn’t It Romantic (2019)

Starring: Rebel Wilson (as Natalie)

Cry factor: No, unless the comedy brings you to tears.

Natalie hits her head and wakes up in what she thinks is an alternate New York City love life.  Her life starts to go perfectly: she gets the job, the boyfriend, and the apartment. Already Rebel Wilson is a super funny actress, so of course this movie is funny.

Emily Gianni

Manhattan '24

Hi I'm Emily! I am in my Senior Year at Manhattan College, graduating in Spring 2024. I am studying Childhood Special Education with an upward extension to middle school with a double major in English. My goal in life is to teach elementary school and later on, teach middle school. Although I don't have a position in my Her Campus chapter, I am still an active writer for Her Campus! I write about all different topics for Her Campus, anything that interests me or that I believe other girls will find useful and informational. I am a team captain on the Manhattan College cheerleading team, so I may write about that sometimes. I also love sorority rush season so I have written about my sorority a few times. I believe that Her Campus is an amazing source for women to put their work out there and influence other girls. I love being a part of this organization and being able to write about whatever I love. This is the best outlet for me to learn more about my writing style, experiment with different topics that I would not be allowed to write about in a class, and grow as a writer.