This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

These days, remote jobs are more popular than ever. I hear about them across social media, including TikTok, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Since the COVID-19 pandemic started in 2020, the world has become open to the possibility of being able to work remotely, and a lot of people find that it actually makes them feel more productive, as well as keeps them safe from possible infection. Companies reported that productivity was higher when employees were working from home rather than in the office, and some haven’t gone back since. 

In 2021, I had the opportunity to work from home as well (non-COVID related), and it drastically changed the way I view working both remotely and in person. I was a contractor for a tech-education startup based in California, with hundreds of employees working remotely all across the world. I had the opportunity to meet amazing people from all walks of life due to the remote environment. 

But, of course, there are pros and cons to everything. Working remotely for over a year and a half came with challenges, and coping with the changes post-employment was difficult. Here is a list of my pros and cons for you to consider whether or not you are interested in working remotely. 

Pros

Less anxiety. As someone who deals with anxiety daily, being able to work from home drastically decreases the challenges that come with working with others and being in crowded spaces. Being able to sit in my room and do my work was easier on my mental health anxiety-wise than other jobs I’ve had in the past, such as working in a crowded cafe as a barista or as a waitress for a massive restaurant/sports bar/arcade chain. 

Staying at home while working meant I was able to do something I loved without worrying about my obsessive thoughts of being perceived by tens or hundreds of people every time I showed up to work. The suffocating thoughts that come from anxiety are easily emphasized in workplaces for me, and it was a relief to work from home. Responding to everything via email or Slack meant that I was able to breathe, craft solid responses, and take time to think about how to handle my work for the day or situations that may arise.

Cutting Time and Travel Costs. Not having to travel for work was such a relief. Living in New York City comes with its ups and downs, and one of its downsides is travel time. When working at the cafe or the restaurant, I would have to leave my apartment an hour before my shift to make sure I was on time. Working remotely allowed me to spend less time on travel arrangements and more time for self-care, relaxing, or sleeping in a few extra minutes. The money you save definitely adds up over time. 

Increased independence. If you’re anything like me, you love working independently and doing your own thing. I love work that only requires me, myself, and I. My remote position allowed me to disconnect from everyone else and focus on what I needed to do. Of course, not all positions are like the one I had, but working remotely means that you are by yourself in your own space, which makes all the difference. With this independence, you can set up a space for yourself that makes you comfortable (and who doesn’t love decorating?). 

Cons

Less outside time. One of the biggest challenges for me during my position was the lack of going out every day. Of course, I did my best to make time for it, but now it was something that needed to be planned during the day versus something that happened on my way to and from work. I wasn’t getting fresh air or getting steps in while traveling to the office. Fortunately, there are jobs you can do in a park or at a cafe or bookstore, but unfortunately with mine, it wasn’t possible. When working remotely, try your best to schedule time to go out or see if you can complete your work in a different location. 

Little-to-no in-person socialization. This was one of the hardest parts of working remotely. There was no office for me to go into, so I didn’t have the option of meeting people from my job in a work-related space. If your job is remote-only, you won’t be getting the in-person interaction you normally would while working in a physical space. I had to make sure to plan extra outings and activities with people I knew to make sure I wasn’t falling behind on socialization. I tend to be a bit of a hermit, so this was challenging for me. 

Lack of work/life balance. My room eventually became my office and my office became my room. This was particularly bad for me because I started associating working with being in my room, and being in my room meant I could relax. At the time, I didn’t make enough of an effort to separate the two, and that did become a problem. I also found myself working extra hours, not going out enough, and spending too much time on Slack and checking my emails. Working in a physical environment sets a clear line between work and personal life, and if you don’t try to set boundaries between the two while working remotely, it will blur the lines. 

Overall, working remotely can be a great experience for those who prefer independent work, less travel, and being able to meet a wider range of people from different backgrounds. My remote position helped me to learn a lot about the kind of person I am and what I prefer (remote 100%!). Working remotely is not for everyone, and the cons may absolutely outweigh the benefits. 

When getting a remote job, the best piece of advice I can provide is to make sure you schedule time to go out, meet people, and get your exercise in. Open the curtains and get in the sun. Go on a bike ride, a walk, run, or just sit on a bench. Disconnecting from the screen when you aren’t working will be the most important thing to do for your mental well-being. 

Kaylin Flam

Manhattan '23

Kaylin is a sophomore majoring in communications at Manhattan College. On her free time she paints, does theatre, writes and spends time outdoors.