Life > Experiences

Pro’s and Con’s of Going Abroad for 3 Weeks Only

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Jocelyn Visnov

Leaving your cozy campus home for a whole semester is not for everyone. However, many campuses and travel agencies offer shorter sessions of Study Abroad that don’t last a whole semester. These “mini-sessions” of study abroad programs typically last anywhere from 1-4 weeks. 

While definitely a less common opportunity, shorter sessions of study abroad may actually be a better fit for many students. Regardless of how long you’re looking to travel, there are a lot of factors to consider before hopping on the plane. 

Here are some pros and cons to ease the planning process, and to help figure out if a mini-session of study abroad is the right choice for you.

CONS 

Fast paced classes: Most study abroad programs involve taking some sort of academic for credit during your travels. For mini-sessions, this typically means taking 3-6 credits. With a shorter time period, you will be expected to complete more work in a condensed period of time. 

Less language skills: With only a few weeks in a new place, you’re probably not going to become fluent in the native language. While it is necessary to have some basic language skills to help you get around, don’t expect to learn too much more than “hello,” “please,” and “thank you.”

Jetlag and Fatigue: Plane rides when traveling overseas can be long and stressful. When you finally land, the first thing you’re going to want to do is take a nap. However, this is not always an option between the time change and a packed itinerary. 

PROS

Break from your Routine: If you’re feeling bored of the traditional classroom way of learning, going abroad for a few weeks is a great way to learn outside of the lecture hall. Many lessons are interactive and take place while sightseeing, on walking tours, or museum visits. 

Less Costly: Any adventure overseas isn’t exactly going to be cheap. However, going away for 2-3 weeks is going to cost significantly less than going away for a whole semester. Most schools will also offer scholarships you can apply for to help reduce the cost further. 

Course load: Depending on your major, you may have a specific sequence of classes to take each semester, and it’s unlikely that all of them will be offered overseas. Only taking 1-2 classes while studying abroad allows for more flexibility and less commitment. If your school offers winter or summer study abroad programs, you may even be able to get ahead by taking classes during a non-traditional semester. Also, taking less classes while abroad means more time to explore!

Easier Housing: If you’re only leaving campus for a few weeks, you will not need to worry about leasing your apartment or moving out of your dorm. Your cozy home at school will be there waiting for you to return. 

No FOMO: No need to worry about missing out on a whole season of football or your favorite spring break festivities. If you’re going away during winter or summer break, most campuses are quiet anyways, so you won’t miss out on any of the fun. 

Get out of your comfort zone: If traveling solo seems a little intimidating, this is a great place to start. Most tours and travel will be guided experiences, and you’ll likely always be in a group. This short period of time is the perfect taste of traveling like an adult, with the help of professors and other students along the way. You’ll get out of your comfort zone, without being too overwhelmed.  

If you think a short session of study abroad sounds like it might be for you, try reaching out to the department at your school. I would highly recommend studying abroad to anyone who wants to do something that scares them, while making lasting memories. 

Jocelyn Visnov

Manhattan '24

Jocelyn is a communication major studying journalism and advertising at Manhattan College. She's the Editor-in-Chief for The Quadrangle Newspaper and previously served as a Creative Director and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Manhattan. Jocelyn aspires to pursue a career in advertising with a special interest in creative direction and campaigns. She is a passionate writer who is always on the go, but never without an iced coffee in hand!