Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Universal Pictures
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By, Gabriella Celentano

Joining Sigma Delta Tau last semester was one of the best decisions I have ever made.  The first semester of my freshman year I was overwhelmed, homesick, lonely and anxious. I was not in any clubs or involved with anything on campus, so the only thing keeping me busy was school.  When I heard about the sorority I was eager to rush, and as it grew closer I became more and more excited. The first night of recruitment was a night that I will never forget. The atmosphere definitely can be intimidating, but as the night got started my nerves were settled and I was so happy to be there. I had made such great connections with some of the girls and I knew that I definitely wanted to be a part of the sisterhood. 

As the semester progressed, I became much happier at school. I had gotten my “big,” who is my best friend, formed the best bonds with so many girls and became more involved with the sorority. There was no longer that sense of loneliness and anxiety that I had felt months before and I was content with staying at school instead of counting down the days until I could go home. Being surrounded by such loving and funny girls was something that I definitely needed. At the end of the school year, I was upset to leave; but I knew that returning would be so much easier. As expected, coming back to school was such a smoother transition. My return campus has been so much fun. It is nice to go to another sister’s dorm room or apartment to hangout and talk. 

Joining Greek life can be overwhelming, but it is seriously so rewarding. By going Greek, I was able to turn my freshman year around and made the last semester one that I will forever cherish. I am so excited for the rest of my time here as a member of SDT and all of the opportunities that come along with it. I really recommend trying Greek life out; it will definitely add positive and memorable experiences to your time in college.

Hi! I'm Gab and I am from New jersey. I am an upcoming sophomore majoring in communications with a concentration in Integrated Marketing Communications.