This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Okay, I know everyone has “ironically” liked a Tik Tok before, but how ironic was it? I’m about to come clean about one of my deepest secrets– I am an avid user of Tik Tok, and I’m up on all the Tik Tok drama. Have y’all heard about Charli D’Amelio and the Hype House? It’s some intriguing stuff. 

Anyways, I originally downloaded the app to be ironic and as a joke, and it truly did start off that way. I watched Kurtis Conner’s videos about the “country boys and girls of Tik Tok,” and those are actually what intrigued me enough to download the app. I really liked the videos making fun of Tik Tokers, and then that gradually moved toward liking the Tik Toks that radiated the same energy as Vines. That sense of humor started to develop to simply liking Tik Tok humor, despite my reluctance to admit it. 

I became absolutely addicted to Tik Tok. It was more fun to go through than Twitter even. I would spend literal hours going through the For You page and sending my favorite Tik Toks to my friends. It got to the point that I even made a few Tik Toks. Of course, they were meant to be ironic and funny, and my friends and I all thought that they were. Then I went to work at a summer camp and I no longer had enough time to go through Tik Tok, so I deleted the app altogether. I didn’t go on it for a few months, but periodically saw them on Twitter or Instagram, or my friends would send the ones they thought were really funny to me. 

I finally caved in after four or five months of not going on Tik Tok, and now I am back to the point of loving it. But this time, I’m not ashamed of it! Tik Toks are funny and genuinely enjoyable, and I think anyone who “hates” Tik Tok without actually watching them and giving them a fair chance is just too scared to admit they’re funny. Now I’ll admit, there are some really cringey parts of Tik Tok. The e-boys, dance videos, and Hype House stuff just don’t make sense or appeal to me. But then again, some people like it! I just can’t get on board with a bunch of fifteen year olds all living in a house together and making cringey Tik Toks. 

Despite not understanding some aspects of Tik Tok culture, I am still able to find funny videos and quality content on the app, and I think you should give it a chance too! Find some Tik Tokkers that make videos you enjoy and can laugh at, then explore more! Give it a shot! What’s the worst that can happen? 

Katie Doyle

Manhattan '21

Katie Doyle is a junior at Manhattan College majoring in English with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She is passionate about women's issues, writing and reading, and is involved in many other clubs on campus, including the climbing club, Sigma Delta Tau, Love Your Melon, and MC Players!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!