This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Fall is my favorite season! I absolutely love watching the leaves change and the crisp golden sunsets. It is socially acceptable to drink hot drinks again. But most of all, I love fall because of the transition to #sweaterweather and cozy clothes! If you see me around town during the fall, I am absolutely in my element in my many sweaters and layers. Here are just a few of my absolute favorite fall clothes that are staples in my wardrobe.

1. A Comfy Pair of Leggings

I love a good pair of leggings. As a huge fan of athleisure, leggings are a staple in my fall wardrobe. I absolutely adore a good pair of plain black leggings because black goes with absolutely everything. However, I am also a fan of fun-colored leggings to pair with a plain white tee for a little pop of color on a cloudy fall day.

1. A Cozy Turtleneck

Turtlenecks are back baby! Not only do they look so cute on their own, but they are absolutely perfect as a layering piece. Have a cute dress you want to wear? Turtleneck underneath. Want to wear a sweater, but you’re worried about being cold? Turtleneck it up! I have an abundance of different colored turtlenecks for all different occasions, whether I’m wearing it alone or as a layer. 

1. Flannels For Days!

I’ll admit, I used to find flannels pretty ugly. Then I threw one on once for a party as a quick layer, and I’ve been hooked ever since. A good flannel looks super cute as a top layer, and you can find them in pretty much any color available. You can tie it or button it, and it looks fabulous either way. I have actually thrifted a lot of my flannels from either in-person thrift stores or online ones (like depop.com), but literally every retail store imaginable has some sort of flannels. 

1. Some Chunky, Knitted Sweaters

I am a huge fan of a good old chunky knit sweater. Think Ron Weasley at Christmas, only cuter and trendier. I love the warm feeling of an oversized sweater, so I always buy mine a size bigger so they look (and feel!) even cozier! Whether it’s a single color or it’s got a fun pattern, sweaters are an absolute must for any fall wardrobe, especially as the weather starts to get colder.

1. Jeans That You Could Wear Anywhere

When I’m not in leggings, you can usually find me wearing a pair of jeans. I love a good comfortable pair of jeans that I can dress up or dress down. For the fall, I typically love a pair of black jeans, because they are the easiest to dress up if necessary. However, I absolutely love a good pair of skinny jeans (I know, I know). I’ve had some of my pairs for several years, so they are super comfy and fit so well. But no matter what style you like to wear, a pair or two of jeans are a must in your fall wardrobe!

These are just a few of my favorite staples for fall in my wardrobe. I absolutely think it’s essential to have some cozy items and items that can be layered as the weather starts to get colder. It’s important to stay warm, but also to look cute and trendy! 

Kerry Sullivan

Manhattan '24

Kerry is a senior Communication Major with a concentration in Media Production and double minors in Film Studies and Women and Gender Studies at Manhattan College. She is from Buffalo, NY and is on Manhattan College's Rowing Team.