her-campus-clubs
her-campus-clubs
Canva/Pexels/Unsplash
Life > Experiences

Must Join MC Clubs According to Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Getting involved on campus is important whether you’ve been here for two months or two years. Doing things with other people who have the same interests and passions as you can be extremely rewarding and is a way to potentially make friends for life. Luckily for students, Manhattan College offers clubs suitable for just about every major and interest imaginable. 

Starting with the best major (just kidding, I’m biased), communication offers many amazing clubs suitable for every concentration or anyone interested in more seriously pursuing one of their favorite hobbies. For students who love to write, there are options like The Quadrangle Newspaper and LOTUS Magazine. The Quadrangle is a great addition to any journalist’s resume but is beneficial to anyone who wants to learn how to write professional articles. LOTUS provides a much more creative outlet for students, both in writing and through the production of the magazine itself.

For those outside of journalism or looking for something to get involved with other than writing, Manhattan has chapters of PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America) and AAF (American Advertising Federation). As both of these clubs are chapters of national organizations, joining provides opportunities outside of the world of MC, such as the opportunity to attend national conferences and competitions. If you’re interested in Manhattan-specific clubs, MCTV, WRCM, Comm Club, and Sports Media MC are other great options that provide impressive resume builders and the opportunity to interact with many new people across campus.

For business majors, MC has an inspirational club called Women in Business. Women In Business aims to build an inclusive community on campus that supports women going into a variety of business-based careers. Their goal is to provide women with the skills they need to become titans of industry and create equality in the field. Throughout the semester, the club brings in guest speakers from the industry and sponsors alumni panels that are valuable to attend for any woman, business major or not, planning to work for a company one day. The O’Malley School of Business at Manhattan also boasts the Management Club, the Economics and Finance Club, Investment Club, and Entrepreneurship Club, open to all students regardless of major.

Additionally, two unique events that the school of business puts on each year are the Business Analytics Competition and the Innovation Challenge. The Innovation Challenge, occurring each spring, provides students with the opportunity to create a product or startup and present the idea to a board of professionals, in a Shark Tank-like manner. What’s even cooler? The winning teams have the opportunity to receive up to $10,000 to make their idea a reality. 

Engineering majors at Manhattan have a massive array of clubs to get involved with. Most concentrations boast a club for students interested in their specific sector of the industry (although these clubs, in addition to the others mentioned, are open for all students) such as American Institute of Chemical Engineers, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, and the American Chemical Society. In addition to these amazing opportunities, the Society of Women Engineers, founded in 1950, provides a place for all women in the field to join together and empower each other to achieve success in a male-dominated industry.  

Calling all political science majors! MC provides so many opportunities for passionate Gen-Z politicians and potential future lawyers. Government and Politics Club, Mock Trial, Model UN, Pre-Law Society, and of course Student Government are all options available to practice your skills and even make changes that you can see in real-time on campus. Previously, Model UN has sent students to conferences in Washington D.C., NYC, and Erfurt, Germany. 

For the English majors who love to write, Manhattan Magazine and Logos are the perfect way to get involved! For those who want experience in publishing and working for an academic journal, and aren’t interested in the traditional newspaper or magazine styles of The Quadrangle and Lotus, these options are perfect for you. Published semesterly, both publications give students hands-on experience working with editorial and revision boards and publishing processes with the freedom to write about everything from research they’ve done to poetry. 

Obviously, there are many opportunities to get involved on MC’s campus. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and take a chance on what you’re passionate about! Whether you intend to build your resume, meet new people, or explore a hobby, joining clubs is an essential part of the college experience.

For any of the clubs mentioned in this article, you can find their contacts and further information at Clubs & Organizations | Manhattan College. There are so many more clubs and opportunities available in addition to the ones mentioned above for students, so keep your eyes and ears peeled for things that might interest you!

Grace Cardinal is the Social Media Editor at the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter. She loves designing Instagram posts on Canva to promote her team's work. Apart from Her Campus, Grace works as the Editor-in-Chief of The Quadrangle Student Newspaper and as the Assistant Lifestyle and Opinions Editor for the fashion magazine on campus, Lotus. She is currently a junior and is majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations and a minor in political science. In her free time, Grace loves taking dance classes at Broadway Dance Center and finding new coffee spots around the city. She's always down for a night in or out with her friends. Grace has been passionate about writing since childhood and she hopes you enjoy her content!