The Most Significant Feminist Moments of Beyonce’s “Lemonade”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Beyonce’s narration of her new visual album “Lemonade” begins with the statement “The past and the present merge to meet us here.” What results is equal parts inspiring, heartbreaking, sexy and politically potent. While it has been largely discussed as an album solely about Jay-Z’s alleged infidelity (think “Becky with the good hair”) it is SO much more than that. In a society and entertainment industry where black women are rarely celebrated, Beyonce has crafted a work of pop culture and visual importance that celebrates the wonder of women everywhere. Beyonce consistently articulates a powerful feminist message throughout the entire visual experience, Below are some paticularly powerful examples. 

Her album is an ode to womanhood and repeatedly recognizes the ways in which women deny ourselves of love, the way we try to act right at all times, and the ways in which we attempt to make ourselves smaller. 

In addition to sparking a series of memes, Beyonce is explicity calling Jay- Z for his cheating and calling attention to the damaging implications of racism on black women and their hair. The idea of good hair has roots in slavery when slaves who were lighter, and therefore had good hair, were favored. It is still evident today that black women’s natural hair is criticized unless it holds up to white supremacist ideals. Of course as a result of this lyric the internet broke and started attacking potential “Beckys” from Rachel Roy, to Rachel Ray to Rita Ora in a clear example of MISSING THE POINT. PSA: Stop blaming women for everything. 

Two incredible, accomplished black women refusing to apologize in “Sorry.”

After “Formation” it is more clear than ever that Beyonce isn’t one to shy away from political issues in her music. While “Lemonade” has a somewhat different tone than this, Sybrina Fulton, Lezley McSpadden, and Gwen Carr are present in the video holding pictures of their sons Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Eric Garner who were all killed in recent years. These paticularly powerful images remind us when the dust and media sensation of the deaths of black men settle, there are women left behind to grieve. The deaths of black men, incarceration, racism, racial profiling and police brutality are feminist issues and this album does not let us forget that. 

Positive media depictions of black families are few and far between. Home videos from the Knowles-Carter family in happy times are interspersed within the video. Blue continues to absolutely slay our whole lives. 

The entire album celebrates the beauty and strength of black women through making them the focus, A number of black women celebrities like Zendaya, Serena Williams, and Amandla Stenberg are featured in cameos. 

One of her more potent lyrics, Beyonce is rallying independent women everywhere who want to leave cheating men who mistreat them. The ultimately empowers women regardless of their choice to stay or leave which is pretty groundbreaking.  

Everything about “Hold Up” is pretty much perfect from Beyonce strutting through the streets to her cleverly named bat Hot Sauce. 

In a society where Kylie Jenner’s braids are “trendy” or “edgy” but Zendaya’s are criticized, Beyonce unabashedly celebrates her Southern heritage in an ode to black womanhood and family. 

Here Beyonce gives us Partition-esque vibes as she celebrates her sexuality and her 6 inch heels.

Beyonce uses several visual references to women in the Yoruba Tribe of Western Africa to recognize and channel the fierceness and fortitude of its goddesses, 

While infidelity is often spoken of in music, we rarely get the perspective of women who stay with cheating spouses and simultaneously express their empowerment. Beyonce refuses to yield to the harmful “Angry Black Woman” strereotype and instead articulates both her anger and forgiveness of her husband. The power of  “Don’t Hurt Yourself” is complemented by the tender and heartbreaking moments she and Jay-Z share in Sandcastles.

Ultimately, Lemonade is an album about the unflinching endurance and strength of black women. 

Writer. Feminist. Lover of iced coffee, dogs and all things cheetah print.