Meet Your Campus Celebrity, Mahamoud Diop!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

It seems like we just can’t get enough of this guy. We have to admit that every campus has that one student that keeps his professors and his student body on their feet. He can’t go from Horan Hall to Locke’s without getting greeted from many of his fellow classmates. Behind every great father is his children. Momo has done a good job keeping his family proud the moment he came to America to pursue his passions as an international studies major. Taking upon many leadership roles, what is most important to him is making sure he gains all the knowledge possible in order to return to his country, Mali, to create an amazing future for his country. He said to RevisionsOfUs.com, “the American media’s biggest crime regarding black people, in my opinion, has been depriving them of their culture and education, which are the two most powerful weapons anyone could have.” I believe that he has done a great job following his passion and that he gives hope to many people. No matter your background, you can conquer anything you set your mind to. The man can juggle so many things at once and still has time to catch a quick interview with me. This is what is happening in the life of Momo Diop!

Name: Mahamoud Diop

Age: 20

Hometown: Bamako, Mali

Major: International Studies and Labor Studies major with a minor in Spanish

Favorite Food: Jellof Rice

What extracurricular activities are you involved with on campus?

I am involved in the Muslim Student Association, Catholic Relief Services and the International Students Association. I’m currently in the process of starting an organization called the Manhattan Africana Student Association (MASA). I’m also involved with Fuerza Latina, I’m a RA for Horan Hall, and lastly I am a member of the Permanent Mission of the African Union to the United Nations.

What would be your advice to students at Manhattan College when choosing activities to be involved in?

Don’t over-burden yourself. Choose the ones you’re most passionate about because you will always do your best at something if it is close to your heart.

Who do you look up to most?

My Mom because of her perserverance. She came from a rough background but still had the courage to travel to the United States to create a better future for her children. She managed to keep my brother and I humble, and for that, I will forever be grateful for her. I look up to my stepmom, too, because she holds the house together when my father is travelling and she makes sure that all the children are nurtured.

What quote do you live by?

“It matters not how strait the gate / How charged with punishments the scroll / I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul.” – William Earnest Henley 

What do you like to do during your spare time?

I enjoy hanging out with my friends, playing basketball, listening to music and taking little trips to Harlem when I have time.

Where do you see yourself after you graduate?

I see myself going back to Mali in order to build a more sufficient Mali. We all need to become leaders in what we believe in to make sure our future is in good hands.

Thank you for the interview, Momo! I wish you the best in your future endeavors.