Meet MC Campus Celeb Raenah-marie Farina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Senior, Raenah-marie Farina has always had a strong passion to help others, which led her to major in radiation therapy at Manhattan College.  During the week, Farina spends a great deal of time at MonteFiore hosptial, where she does her current clinical rotation.  The radiation therapy department at Manhattan College requires students to intern 274 days at hospital in the New York area.  In an average day, Farina treats from 20-40 cancer patients, whose ages range from 6 to 99 years old.  

Her Campus: What inspired you to major in radiation therapy?

Raenah-marie Farina: My grandpa was diagnosed with cancer when I was in high school. He went through radiation therapy treatments while I was on summer vacation so I drove him to every one of his treatments.  Everyday he would tell me that his radiation therapists were his angels and he appreciated them so much. I had always known I wanted to do something in the health care field, but seeing what a positive influence my grandfathers radiation therapists had on him made my decision very easy.  I knew I wanted to be someone else’s angel.

HC: What are a few of the challenges you have had to face as a radiation therapist intern?

RF: When dealing with patients who are facing such a difficult situation there are a lot of difficulties that arise.  One challenge that I’ve been faced with is dealing with family members of those who are terminally ill.  There are many patients who we treat palliatively, meaning that our intent is to better their symptoms, not technically cure their disease. I always find it difficult dealing with and answering the questions of family members in such cases.

HC: Do you find it more emotionally difficult to treat pediatric patients?

RF: Oh absoutely.  I can’t help but put myself back at their age and think of what I was doing when I was their age.  It breaks my heart to remember playing sports or going on play dates with my friends while seeing this kid coming to a hospital every day for cancer treatments.  I always feel that its so unfair and unjust that they have to go through this but at the same time drives me to give them the best possible treatment I can to cure their disease.  It makes me truly grateful for my health.

HC: What has this internship taught you?

RF: Each patient is able to bring something unique to my day each and every day. After spending so many days with these patients who have just been diagnosed with cancer and seeing how positive and optimistic they can be has had a very positive impact on my life. Seeing how strong people can be in the face of such a detrimental disease has really changed my perspective on what’s truly important in life. I’ve come to realize that absolute success doesn’t come in the form of a high paying job or a big house but rather good health and good spirits.

HC: What other activities are you involved in aside from your academics?

RF: I also work for Red Bull on the Bronx Wings Team. It’s very different from my internship but still manage to put smiles on people’s faces with the gift of wings.

HC: What are your future plans regarding radiation therapy?  Is that the official position you see yourself in years to come?

RF: If all goes as planned, I hope to take my boards exam shortly after graduation and hopefully pass those and get a job somewhere in the tristate area. I definitely want to be a radiation therapist for a long time, seeing as I love it so much. But on the other hand, moving around patients all day does take a physical tole on our bodies so I hope so continue on to my masters and move up in a oadiation oncology department as a supervisor or other managerial role.

HC: How were you associated with Relay For Life?

RF: I was able to attend their event last year with red bull and give out samples there for people since everyone stays up all night for it. 

Jeannie is currently a senior at Manhattan College with a major in communication and a concentration in journalism. She loves to travel to learn about different cultures and has had the incredible opportunities of studying abroad in Paris and London. In addition, she plans to visit Milan in January and is ecstatic to learn about the Italian culture along with exploring the beautiful country. Jeannie also has an interest in interior design and fashion. Past times include yoga, running, and of course every girl's favorite, manis and pedis.