This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

What is #MeToo Mondays? 

#MeToo Mondays is a student-led support group for survivors of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and intimate partner violence. The objective of this program is to use self-expression to reflect on how these experiences shape our lives, and learn how to integrate them in a healthy way, with the encouragement of other survivors’ support and solidarity.

This program is meant to be a safe space. There is never any pressure for anyone to share, everyone is welcome to just quietly follow along if they would prefer. This program is completely confidential, we want to provide space where survivors can speak freely without fear of mandated reporting. 

This program is meant for any students who believe this program resonates with them. If you have endured any form of sexual harassment, sexual assault, or intimate partner violence you are welcome here. If you are unsure if you have endured any form of sexual harassment, sexual assault, or intimate partner violence, and think that maybe you have, you are welcome here. We will never ask you for a reason for your presence. We believe you. We are here for you. 

How was #MeToo Mondays started? 

#MeToo Mondays was started back in the fall semester of 2020. It was created by Julia Ettere, a senior at Manhattan College, who is majoring in psychology and minoring in women and gender studies. Julia’s passion for raising awareness and support for survivors of sexual assault stemmed from interpersonal experiences and grew through education and her internship at The Lasallian Women and Gender Resource Center. The LWGRC is a student-led community committed to educating students on intersectional feminism and social justice, and to supporting students as advocates for gender justice. Julia is passionate about increasing support for survivors of sexual assault and hopes her support group will accomplish this throughout the college community. The group is led by both Julia and her friend Christina Trichilo who is a junior at Manhattan studying psychology and women and gender studies. 

Who can join #MeToo Mondays? 

Any student who is affiliated with Manhattan College that is a survivor of any form of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and or intimate partner violence.

When is #MeToo Mondays? 

Our group meets every other Monday, two times a month. Our next meeting is Nov. 23 at 9:00 p.m! 

What should I expect at a #MeToo Mondays meeting?

At each meeting, we have a new writing prompt, students are not obligated to write about the weekly prompt. They can write about anything or simply doodle if they are more comfortable. After everyone is done, you can share what you wrote or drew. Students can share as much or as little as they want, no one is forced to share anything if they are not comfortable. After our discussion, we like to end our meeting on a positive note, since most topics are heavy. We ask students questions like “what are you looking forward to this week?”

For more information and for the link to attend, check out @mc_lwgrc on Instagram! 

Christina Trichilo is a transfer student at Manhattan College. She is a third year student majoring in psychology, and minoring in women and gender studies. She enjoys reading poetry, a good cup of coffee, and listening to Beyoncé's I Am... Sasha Fierce album.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!