This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By: Katelyn Lam

Joji is a talented Japanese singer-songwriter, rapper, comedian and even a former Youtuber. His past Youtube career contradicts the style of his music and was a shock to me and many other new fans. On Youtube he was featured in challenge videos, comedy skits and dance performances. He was even known as “Pink Man” which featured him running around in public in a hot pink bodysuit. As well, he was in videos that popularized the infamous “Harlem Shake.” Although at the time he was enjoying creating content, he started to have health problems from stress and then grew out of that platform. He retired from Youtube in late 2017 to pursue his passion for music, which was the best decision he’s ever made.

Joji’s new album, Smithereens, truly touches the hearts of all his listeners around the world. Smithereens is his third album and was just released on November 4th at 12 am. Due to him not releasing an album for almost two years, fans (including myself) anxiously awaited the drop of the album as the clock struck twelve. Throughout the two years he dropped two songs in his album “Yukon” and his most popular song to date “Glimpse of Us.” Smithereens is composed of nine songs “Glimpse of Us,” “Feeling Like The End,” “Die For You,” “Before The Day Is Over,” “Dissolve,” “ “NIGHT RIDER,” “BLAHBLAHBLAH DEMO,” “YUKON (INTERLUDE),” and “1AM FREESTYLE.” The theme of his album is Joji struggling emotionally, trying to move past heartbreak, trying to fight to get his relationship back or even making do with someone new. 

My top two favorite songs from the album are “Glimpse of Us” and “Die For You.” Although they are very emotional and can sometimes be hard to listen to when feeling down, I like many others, relate to the songs and appreciate the art that went into creating them. As well, the analogue synths, piano ballads, and light dreamy vocals in all the tracks just never miss and he even uses experimental trap and electronic beats to keep the album depth and different tones. Joji is easily a lyrical genius and opens up new thoughts especially when it comes to relationships. One crushing lyric from hit song “Glimpse of Us,” is Joji saying how “And I try to fall for her touch but I’m thinking of the way it was said I’m fine and said I moved on I’m only here passing time in her arms hoping I’ll find… a glimpse of us. ” This gut wrenching yet beautifully descriptive lyric explains how Joji only truly fell in love once and after that he will look for her in all of his future relationships hoping they will measure up to what he once had.

Additionally, “Die For You” is my other favorite song from the album. This is the third track in Smithereens and is about Joji’s feelings post-breakup. He hopes that his love is getting everything that he struggled to provide while at the same time how he still has so much love as he sayd “I’d still die for you”. The two main lyric excerpts that stood out to me are “I heard that you’re happy without me and I hope it’s true (I hope, I hope it’s true) it kills me a little, that’s okay ‘Cause I’d die for you you know I’d still die for you.” This just shows that if you truly loved someone and it ended on a sad note that despite the pain and hurt you truly just want the best for them even though it hurts that they’re not in your life anymore and no matter what you would still do anything for them. As well, the lyric “the only time we speak is in my dreams.” This lyric resonated with me because even with past friendships and even  relationships with others and family when you’re not close anymore or they’re not here anymore the only time that you can see or speak to them is in your dreams. I especially relate this one lyric to when I lost a family member I was close to, even though they are not physically there I still sometimes dream about them and envision myself talking to them. Joji’s lyrics are universal and truly touch every part of the mind as well as the rhythm of the songs. 

Overall, Joji is truly becoming even more recognized for his talents and his music has been getting the love it deserves. In all his interviews, Joji seems like he has a great personality, sense of humor and is extremely thankful for how far he has come. He appreciated the fans that have stuck with him since day one and the new ones he has received. I strongly recommend taking your time to listen to his album!

Katelyn Lam

Manhattan '24

Hi there! My name is Katelyn Lam, I am a junior here at Manhattan College. I am from Maryland and currently majoring in Marketing. I am passionate about food, my kitty Mochi, exploring the city and the importance of mental health. I look forward to being in a group with talented females and being able to use Her Campus as an informational and creative outlet!