It’s 2022– Let’s End the Period Stigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Emily Gianni

PERIODS.  Girls get them and they are still attempted to be hidden everyday.  Religious, cultural and social stigmas of menstruation are still really common around the world today.  The discrimination of periods can be shown if a girl is being aggressive or moody, they are “PMS–ing.”  It can also be shown in some cultures because women are seen as “dirty” or “unclean” when they are on their period.  Some cultures even make the woman sleep in a separate bed if they are on their period.  This discrimination will create feelings of shame in women when discussing their periods.  Women have been restricted or prohibited from full participation in public life for too long.  We are living with the consequences of menstrual stigmatization called the “knowledge gap” between what doctors know about female bodies versus male bodies.

Many women around the world have a lack of access to period products.  It is especially a common problem in developing countries or impoverished communities.  About 17 million people who menstruate in the United States live in poverty.  Those who can’t afford menstrual products may lead to using items like socks or newspapers, which can lead to infection. 

It helps to break the taboos around period discussion if you discuss it in a more straightforward way rather than saying “That Time of the Month” or “Code Red.”  By discussing periods like this, it insists that having a period is not acceptable or shouldn’t be talked about.  Black women have faced a higher amount of discrimination by healthcare professionals because of their skin color, as well as their gender.

In 2019, the United States created its first National Period Day.  This helps fight the stigma by allowing females to recognize that having a period is normal and can be talked about.  This day also leads to more education behind periods, attempting to break the stigma behind getting a period.  It is important to talk about periods openly because it helps to make discussion about periods more normalized.  It is important to avoid using code names for a period.  Lastly, you should fight against period discrimination and shaming.  Periods are a  natural part of a woman’s life.  It is important to break down the discrimination behind periods because the world should be a more equitable world for everyone who menstrautes.

Emily Gianni

Manhattan '24

Hi I'm Emily! I am in my Senior Year at Manhattan College, graduating in Spring 2024. I am studying Childhood Special Education with an upward extension to middle school with a double major in English. My goal in life is to teach elementary school and later on, teach middle school. Although I don't have a position in my Her Campus chapter, I am still an active writer for Her Campus! I write about all different topics for Her Campus, anything that interests me or that I believe other girls will find useful and informational. I am a team captain on the Manhattan College cheerleading team, so I may write about that sometimes. I also love sorority rush season so I have written about my sorority a few times. I believe that Her Campus is an amazing source for women to put their work out there and influence other girls. I love being a part of this organization and being able to write about whatever I love. This is the best outlet for me to learn more about my writing style, experiment with different topics that I would not be allowed to write about in a class, and grow as a writer.