This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

It happens to everyone. You start to get bored with your mundane day-to-day life and want to add something new to your schedule. But, sometimes taking up new hobbies can be difficult or overwhelming. Hobbies are a great way to spend time doing something you enjoy, while at the same time keeping yourself moving or your brain working. Hobbies are also a great way to stay grounded and can be great for your mental health.

In order to start a new hobby, you need to choose one! A hobby can be anything, from crafts, to sports, to music, to baking, you name it! Explore your interests, try things you never thought to try. Perhaps there’s something you did when you were younger that you enjoyed and you want to start back up again. Or, maybe there’s something new you’ve been wanting to try. TikTok and Pinterest are great resources for finding inspiration for new hobbies. You could also sign up for a class, such as a yoga class, or even a painting class to get yourself started. Anything can be a hobby, as long as you enjoy it!

When starting a new hobby, it is important to first remind yourself that this is something you are doing for fun, not a chore. It is easy to take the fun out of hobbies or activities when they become like a job along with the rest of the things you need to fulfill each day. Remind yourself why you chose this hobby or activity and why it makes you happy, which will make you all the more grateful for having it. A hobby should be something you enjoy doing for yourself!

To begin a new hobby, try out new things. Maybe there’s a recipe you saw that you liked, or you wanted to get into painting. Maybe when you were younger you did dance, and you want to try a dance class once a week to get back into it. Or, perhaps you saw a new place or thing online that looked interesting. Whatever you choose, try to incorporate it into your life, and it will become a part of your day that you look forward to. A hobby can be a great way to destress from work or daily life and connect with your inner child. 

Try something new this week, or, bring something back into your life that you always enjoyed. Sign up for a class, and maybe even bring a friend. Whatever you choose, make sure you choose it for you! Your hobbies are meant for you to have fun with, and to help you find peace in your life. 

Makenzie Swift

Manhattan '26

Makenzie is a sophomore at Manhattan College, majoring in communication and journalism. Makenzie is a writer for the Manhattan College Her Campus chapter. Makenzie covers a variety of different topics such as style guides, health and wellness advice, and spirituality. Makenzie also writes and does production for the Quadrangle Student Newspaper at Manhattan, as well as production for Lotus, the fashion magazine at MC. Makenzie loves to follow fashion trends and styles, and enjoys sharing creative ideas for fashion as well as advice for mental health and overall self care.