Life > Experiences

How to Stay in Touch with Hometown Friends this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

We all know the struggle of acclimating to the busy schedules we have during the semester. Between class, extracurricular activities, and homework, it sometimes can feel like you don’t even have time for yourself. However, it’s important to not only take time for yourself when needed but to also remember to set time aside for your friends and family. While it’s a struggle to find time for your hometown friends, especially when you can’t physically be with them, it is important to take time when possible and update each other on your lives.

One way to do this is by sending nightly texts recapping the most memorable moments from your day. It can be as simple as a few bullets or a long paragraph with an excruciating amount of detail. This is a fun way to end the day and to also practice gratitude for what made it a good day. Another way to keep in touch with your hometown friends is to set aside a weekly facetime meeting to debrief and catch up. A week in college can sometimes feel like a year, so much is always happening and the days are so long. This means there’s a lot to update your friends about. A fun way to keep in touch with your friends is to make a silly newsletter or slideshow detailing the highlights of your month and everything special or funny that happened. This allows you to get creative and include pictures which is especially helpful so your home friends can put faces to names while you tell them your stories.

While college can be stressful and our schedules can be packed it is crucial to prioritize yourself and the people who matter to you! Even taking a few moments to find out what’s happening in your friends’ lives and updating them on yours will be beneficial to keep in touch during the semester.

Samantha Keating

Manhattan '24

Junior at Manhattan College studying English & 5-year elementary and special education!