This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

There are a million and one ways to meet new people on campus, whether you’re coming in as a freshman or transferring at any year. While it may seem scary at first, people in college actually do want to meet new people too. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, it may end up in a lifelong friendship. 

Clubs, clubs, clubs. 

Obviously, there are other ways to meet new people, but this (in my opinion) is a foolproof way to make new friends and retain them in college. For most clubs or extracurriculars you participate in, you have regular meetings or events that you attend, giving you ample opportunities during the semester to see the members of your clubs. A number of my closest friendships in college occurred as a result of clubs. Especially when joining a club related to your major, it can feel less daunting coming to the first meeting as you’re likely to see people from your classes there too. 

Class.

You go to class every day and you may not realize the person sitting next to you is a future friend. While it may sound cheesy and most days you just want to get in and get out, sitting next to someone two or three times a week gives you plenty of time to form an acquaintance-ship. Next time you’re in class get their number to do work outside of class or to study – who knows how things will turn out!

Public Spaces.

While it may feel a little scary to venture out into campus spaces on your own, areas like the Quad, the Library, or the common room can be great spaces to make new friends. One of my earliest college friendships was made by a run-in in a dorm elevator. A handful of people I met because I saw them in the Library all the time. There are tons of spaces on campus where students congregate. The more time you spend outside of your room the more opportunities you have to meet new people. 

Off-campus outings.

You know those things your school offers, maybe through email or Instagram, that you think who actually does these? Lots of people! In New York City it can range from Broadway plays to baseball games. Though some people do choose to sign up to do them in a group, there are the occasional individuals just looking to do something fun with their classmates. If you feel intimidated by it, consider asking a roommate or someone from class to tag along. Don’t be afraid to talk to new people while you’re there, especially those who are in groups as they may adopt you into their hang-out.

I know that coming to campus, especially if you’re an out-of-stater like me, can seem super intimidating. But the best advice I got going into college, and the best advice I give to others, is that everyone wants to make friends as an incoming freshman and everyone is afraid to do it. So, don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone a bit–one nudge out of it can be the difference between making a life-long friend. 

Adrianne Hutto

Manhattan '24

Adrianne Hutto is a Senior communication major at Manhattan College with a concentration in journalism. She loves writing about fashion, animals and food. In her free time she loves to cook, spend time with her cat, Casper, and rollerskating in Van Cortlandt Park.