This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Mackenzie Boyce

Everybody expresses and receives love in different ways…and now there is a test to find out how you can communicate it best. This concept views love as a language, where we each express our feelings in a specific form. This must be a two-way street in a relationship, and people must learn how they can best show their love to a significant other, while also receiving it in their own desired way. These love languages include physical touch, acts of service, gift giving, words of affirmation, and quality time. You can take the quiz here, and read on for date ideas and meaning behind your true love language.

Physical Touch

If this is your love language, it means that you thrive from being close to the people you love. Whether that be a hug or holding hands, being physically close provides a sense of comfort and security. If this is your love language some date ideas include, going for a walk while holding hands, watching a movie together, or having a spa night.

Acts of Service

Having a partner who goes out of their way to assist you speaks volumes. They always say actions speak louder than words! Finding ways to relieve your stress or responsibilities can make you feel cared for. While it may seem like this is more of an act that is important all the time, there are still dates that can use these concepts. Maybe try cooking eachother a nice meal or incorporate random acts of kindness into your date night plans.

Receiving Gifts

No, this love language does not make you greedy! The thought behind a gift, no matter how small, can make anyone feel loved. Just knowing someone thought about you when purchasing something can make your heart soar. Maybe try going shopping and picking items out for one another, or making a sentimental purchase together. Also make sure to buy your girlfriend flowers!

Words of Affirmation

Hearing compliments can be one of the most reassuring parts of a relationship. It’s easy to feel insecure, or doubt your partner’s love for you, but words of affirmation can help stay encouraged. Just hearing “I love you,” or being told how much you mean to someone can make all the difference. Simply try writing a heartfelt note or text. For a cute date idea, you can plan a scavenger hunt with small words of affirmation hidden in various spots.

Quality Time

One of the most valuable parts of a relationship is spending time together, and giving someone your complete undivided attention. Feeling as though your partner does not want to spend time together can be hurtful, especially for those long distance relationships. Anything that allows you to be together can be the perfect date for this love language. Go on a hike, have a picnic, or visit a museum. Just make sure to put away technology so the day can be all about the two of you.

Finding your love language is important in making sure you and your partner fully understand what is necessary to make the relationship work. Every couple needs to be on the same page, and understand what is necessary to communicate love to one another. I hope these date ideas can help you get started!

Mackenzie Boyce

Manhattan '24

Mackenzie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at Manhattan, and loves being able to read and edit the chapter’s articles before they are published. Mackenzie is a senior at Manhattan College studying childhood and special education with concentrations in English and French. She is originally from Connecticut but loves having the opportunity to live in NYC for school. Mackenzie is also a member of the sorority Sigma Delta Tau on campus. She is also part of the education honors society, Kappa Delta Pi, and French honors society, Pi Delta Phi. She is also an admissions ambassador and can be spotted around campus giving tours to incoming students. She is also currently completing her student teaching this semester in fifth and first-grade classrooms at a local Bronx elementary school. Mackenzie loves having the ability to use writing as an outlet, whether that means writing about fashion, music, pop culture, or mental health. She is so thankful to have found a home with Her Campus at Manhattan and hopes anyone reading can gain knowledge or inspiration from her work.