This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Welcome back, Jaspers! It’s hard to believe that summer is already over, but I know we are all ready to get back to campus to socialize, see our friends and go out in the city! But are we ready to get back into the season of writing endless amounts of papers, reading chapters upon chapters, and studying for a countless number of hours? I don’t know about you but I’d prefer to still be on the beach rather than doing that. 

But whether we like it or not, it’s time to face reality and realize that a semester of school work has just begun. After relaxing all summer, it may be difficult to get in the routine of working again, but here’s a few tips on how you can stay motivated this school year. 

1) Plan out your goals

Before you start to become busy with work and extracurriculars, take time to envision what you want to accomplish and when you want to accomplish it this semester, or the school year as a whole. Do you want to ace a class or gain a leadership position in a club? Write it down and start imagining how you can do it. Whenever you feel tired or lazy and your motivation starts to slip away, refer back to your list of goals to remind yourself to keep working at your dream. 

2) Stick to it

I personally get really excited when the semester starts and I try to be the best student I can be at the beginning of the year. More times than not, my excitement dies down, especially when I start to become busy with clubs, work, and having a social life. Yet, the most important part about achieving any goal is staying motivated. It’s easier said than done, but keep telling yourself you can do it and you will. Always stick to that sense of motivation and excitement. 

3) Surround yourself with good friends

Focus on relationships where people lift you up, make you feel happy, and give you their endless support. Being around those who do that will make staying motivated so much easier and they may even share the same motivations as you! 

4) Create a playlist

Sometimes just listening to certain songs can change your mood and inspire you. Listening to music that motivates you will encourage you to achieve your goals. If motivational music is not your style, then try podcasts, books, or even movies. Listen, read, watch, or do whatever sparks your inspiration. 

5) Look at your role models

I don’t know about you, but sometimes seeing other people accomplish their dreams and goals inspires me to accomplish mine. Every now and then, check in on someone you look up to, whether it’s a celebrity, friend, or family member. Just seeing their success can be motivation enough for you. If they can do it, then what’s stopping you from doing the same? 

6) Imagine the feeling

What will it feel like to accomplish your goals? Amazing, right? While I do believe that things in life are about the journey and not the destination, sometimes keeping your eye on the prize and envisioning the destination will keep you motivated to continue the journey.

7) How badly do you want it? 

I’ve come to learn that you can really do anything as long as you stay motivated, put your mind to it, and work hard. For example, I’ve seen and heard time and time again of students at lesser known schools getting jobs over those who’ve studied at prestigious universities. Why’d they get those jobs? Because they showed they were more willing to work and ready to take on any challenge. Where they got their degree didn’t matter, but their willingness to work hard did. That being said, being motivated to achieve your dreams will help you do exactly that. If you want it bad enough, that’s all you need to stay motivated for the school year and in anything you do in life. 

As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!