This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

As a college student, once in a blue moon you might have time to take a break and relax for an hour or two. Whether you have a million tasks on your to-do list, or nothing at all, everybody needs a break once in a while. However, if you are like me, my way of relaxing is not scrolling through my Instagram or Snapchat feeds. I often refrain from simply letting myself take a break for longer than 20 minutes because I feel unproductive and know I could be doing something better with my time. If you are ever stuck in a situation like this, you have come to the right place. Here are a few tips on how to give yourself a break, but be productive at the same time. 

1. Watch a documentary

As much as we all love lounging on our beds and bingeing our favorite Netflix shows, sometimes this in itself can get quite boring. A lot of the time we sit there watching Youtube videos or TV shows because it does not take a lot of mental effort, but why not relax and learn something at the same time? Netflix and other streaming outlets offer a variety of documentaries ranging from how to organize your life, your favorite conspiracies, or how to become a yogi expert. Some of my favorite Netflix documentaries include Minimalism, Cowspiracy, and What the Health.

2. Organize your life

If I am being honest, I have to be one of the most organized people I know. I am notorious for my abundance of lists, reminders, color coded notebooks, the list could go on. This is how I have always functioned but my life would have gone to chaos a long time ago if I did not implement a system of organization that works for me. I have already mentioned a few, but writing down any reminders is the perfect place to start getting organized. When I physically write down my assignment deadlines or events I have to look forward to, there is no way that I am going to forget about them. I know it may seem a little outdated for our generation, but it is still one of the most effective tools I have implemented into my life. 

3. Hit the outdoors

One of the best ways to refresh and clear my mind in the middle of a stressful week is hitting the outdoors. I am lucky enough that my college is conveniently located right next to one of the biggest parks in New York City so I do not have to search very far to find an area to escape to. However, if this is not the case, your campus or nearby town will do just the same. Grab your roommate, best friend, or if you prefer going by yourself (like I do sometimes), and take a walk or go for a light run. If you get tired, find a bench and simply sit and take in your surroundings. Sometimes it’s a relief not having obligations to worry about and just letting your mind go free. 

4. Take up a new hobby

Sometimes it can be the worst feeling to be sitting around not knowing what to do with yourself. You don’t want to do that fifty page reading you were assigned, or sit scrolling on your phone, but do something more stimulating that actually brings you joy. This is no better time than to take up a hobby or find new interests of yours. Have you always wanted to take up painting or drawing, start reading that book that was not assigned for class, or reinvent your wardrobe? Or you may have no clue where your interests lie, and that’s okay too. Start off small with writing or journaling, and if that is not your cup of tea, then move on to the next thing. This also is not a one day endeavor; give yourself time to figure out what you like and then one day, it will just come to you. 

5. Create a vision board

I know how stressful it can be to try and figure out what you want to do with your life or where you see yourself five years from now. What matters is that you are exploring your likes, dislikes, and various interests in an attempt to get a better idea of these daunting questions. One of my favorite ways to do this is by creating a vision or inspiration board. Browse Pinterest, Instagram, or your favorite magazines and get crafty because this is the time to let your imagination run free. Who inspires you? Who do you want to be? Even though you may not be the next Picasso, just remember there is no right or wrong way to do this. If being productive is not uncovering your future plans and aspirations, then I don’t  know what is. 

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!