How A Professor Became My Spirit Animal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

I know what you’re thinking, and no, I am not a nerd. I just happened to be sitting in my first class of my second semester of college when instead of daydreaming or pretending to read the syllabus, I found myself totally engaged. I was actually listening and relating to what the professor was saying and doing and teaching. I would smile as they said exactly what I was thinking and was relieved to discover that someone had the same ideas that I did.

Okay, maybe I am a nerd.

Other college-students consider themselves to be a long lost twin to the person who runs the CommonWhiteGirl twitter account or Cara Delevigne, but not me (I could never get the eyebrows right).

Instead of dismissing the notion that this person was meant to be my spirit animal, I decided to embrace it. Sure, we don’t look alike and we are about three decades apart in terms of age, but we are cut from the same cloth.

Professors get a bad rep. They make us work. They require us to read books and write essays and take tests. They give us grades, sometimes good and sometimes bad. But we aren’t in high school anymore where teachers are disrespected and complained about in the hallways or during lunch. College professors aren’t here to parent us or patronize us like high-school teachers; they are here to help us succeed as adults. Maybe we should stop looking at them as enemies and start seeing them as friends.

After two classes I decided to stay after and introduce myself. After that I started to show up at office hours and discuss all the things I wanted to say but an hour and fifteen minute class wouldn’t allow me to. They have given me wisdom and advice that I simply wouldn’t have received otherwise. I even know their Starbucks order. I know, spirit animal.

Simply taking tests and handing in papers for four years would surely educate you, but in the end, would be cheap. Making connections and engaging in conversation with professionals who one day may be your colleague, would make your college education that much richer.

It’s amazing once you discover that professors are just real people with real lives. Plus, they are super interesting. Some of them have experienced things that you only dream of, and they are more than willing to share them with you, you just have to ask.

So instead of walking around saying that your spirit animal is Kim Kardashian, try talking to one of your professors or councilors outside of class. It’s better to liken yourself to a renowned journalist or doctor of philosophy than a reality star or model.

I know you are probably dying to know who this person is, but sorry, I won’t tell. Go get your own spirit animal.

Ally Hutzler Writer, swimmer, and coffee-lover.