This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

This winter break is going to be a long one. For most colleges, including Manhattan everyone is headed home for Thanksgiving and not coming back until the end of January to stop the spread of COVID-19 on campuses. You may be wondering; what the heck am I gonna do for two whole months? So here are a couple of ideas on how to be productive over winter break:

Apply for Internships:

Whether it be for the summer or the spring, it’s going to be a good idea to get a head start! Especially since some summer internship applications close quicker than others, it will be a great time to do your research!

Get a part-time job:

It never hurts to earn some extra money! Many essential businesses and fast food places are still hiring and need extra help during this time. You’ll be getting out of your house, and putting a smile on other people’s faces during this crucial time!

Volunteer:

Some opportunities might be a little more scarce than usual, but they’re definitely still out there. You can volunteer for places like animal shelters, food banks, and hospitals. This will also look great on your resume and is an important cause!

Take a class/learn something new:

You could take an extra class online such as a gen-ed to get ahead. You could also learn something new that could be helpful towards your future, such as learning another language, taking an editing class, or playing an instrument. Pick up that hobby you’ve always wanted to now that you have the time!

Get ahead on other important things: You can start your grad school applications, study for the MCAT/GRE, or polish your resume! When things hopefully start to get busy again in the spring semester, you’ll be thankful you got ahead on these things so you won’t feel swamped!

Molly Prior

Manhattan '21

Molly Prior is a senior at Manhattan College studying communications and journalism. With a passion for women's empowerment and lifestyle, she hopes to write for a magazine such as Cosmopolitan or Women's Health.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!