Getting Involved on Campus: Why You Should Join Clubs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Making new friends is hard, especially when you are in a brand new place and don’t know anyone. When I started at Manhattan College, it felt as if everyone already knew each other and had made their group of friends because I came in two weeks late being a commuter. I know I had to try harder but did not know where or how to start. 

It took everyone asking me how lacrosse was going or what clubs I am in for a whole semester to realize what I was missing. I was not fully involved, I had no teammates to fall back on and it was time to make new friends and put myself out there.

Two years later I am more involved than ever and would not have it any other way! Below are a few of the key organizations that helped me find some of the best people on campus & maybe will give you a start on your involvement journey:

To meet people in your major & network: Women in Business

As a business student, it is essential that you network with everyone you meet, but starting out you just want to make a few friends that have similar interests. The first place I would recommend everyone to start is at a club geared towards what you are studying. Not only will it help you learn more about your prospective career path, but will also be easier to make friends, find out what professors/courses are best to take, and maybe even gain a few study buddies. As an accounting and marketing double major, my interests were pretty broad, but it just left more room for opportunity. Women in Business gave me the opportunity to learn more about all careers in business, meet people from all different majors, and it has provided me with a great leadership role!

To make memories: Sigma Delta Tau 

Taking everything you know about mean girl sorority life and throw it out the window because the women at Sigma Delta Tau do not tolerate it. If you want to join Greek life for lifelong friendships, endless leadership opportunities, and everlasting memories without all the hazing and unrealistic standards, this is the organization for you! I recently rushed in the spring of last year and I am so happy that I finally did something for myself regardless of what everyone else thinks. SDT has brought me friends that I know will last a lifetime and has already opened so many doors for me within a few months. From volunteering, sister dates, formals, and networking events, there is a little something of everything and I think that is why it’s so great. 

To learn something new: Business Analytics & Data Society

Getting involved sometimes means you have to step out of your comfort zone. Freshman year I heard a lot about business analytics, but never knew much about it besides that it’s the new skill everyone is trying to learn. I decided to try it out by attending a few club meetings and in a month I knew two programming languages. While I am not the best at it, its something that has helped me land internships and gave me a head start on trying new things.

To get involved in something you are passionate about: Love Your Melon 

Meeting new people through a common interest or passion usually leads to the easiest formed friendship. When I discovered LYM on campus, I was so eager to join. Cancer is an awful disease that has affected so many people close to my heart and this organization was the perfect opportunity to give back and spread awareness. From swab drives, fundraisers, positivity projects and so much more, doing something that warms your heart and brings love to others is so rewarding.

To Improve on a Skill: Her Campus 

Ever since one English class in high school, I dreaded anything related to the subject. Whether it be research papers or even a simple writing prompt, it just reminded me of one particular teacher who never had a positive comment on anyone’s writing. After discovering Her Campus, I wondered what it would be like to challenge myself and hopefully discover a new hobby since I already loved reading about anything related to beauty, college, fashion, and lifestyle. Sophomore year I decided to give it a try not knowing how rewarding it would be when people come up to you and say how much they loved your weekly articles. 

Whether you are a freshman, transfer student, or upperclassmen trying to make your way, the most important advice you should act on right now is getting involved. Rush the sorority, join the club that sparks your interest, attend that club meeting you always see advertised! It is so worth it and will truly change your whole view on life at Manhattan College.

Dayna McGinley

Manhattan '22

Dayna is an Accounting & Marketing double major. She's an Irish girl who loves everything lilly, beachy & especially pearls!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!