Career > Money

Five Tips for Successfully Selling Clothes Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

For someone who always likes to stay up on the latest trends but doesn’t have that much extra money to be funneling into a new wardrobe every season, selling clothes online seems like the perfect solution. Sell your old clothes and by new ones, it’s an easy trade off that you don’t need to feel guilt about. But for some people the idea of selling their clothes online is time consuming and doesn’t give as great of a reward that they’re looking for. I was one of those people before I learned these quick tips about how to successfully sell my clothes online doing hardly any work.

1. Skip Ebay and try Poshmark

The horror of growing up watching my mom try and sell antiques on eBay was enough to make never want to touch the website again. Ebay is too complicated and requires more attention that most are willing to give, especially for a few pieces of clothes. So a friend of mine told me about this app called Poshmark where you could buy and sell clothes as you please without having to pay much attention to them. You can create an account or sign up through your Facebook and from there you can upload as many things as you want.  I like Poshmark because I don’t need to be watching my clothes, worrying about bidders, and having to relist when a item isn’t sold. Instead you can do everything from your phone and get notified when someone purchases or is interested in one of your items.

2. Be Smart About What You Sell

When deciding what to sell make sure it is something that people actually want. People always wonder why they post so many things but can’t seem to sell any of them and the answer to that question is because they are focused more on quantity over quality. Nobody goes online shopping to buy old t shirts or beat up sneakers. They get on to buy things worth their time. Between uploading their information and paying for shipping costs the things they buy have to make sense. So stick to selling things of value like purses and jewelry or when selling clothes try well known brands that will be searched often.

3. Pay Attention to the Seasons

Make sure that the things you’re selling correlate to the season people need the clothing for. You’re going to have a hard time selling bikinis in the winter and parkas in the summer so try to pay attention when shopping to see what season stores are transition to so you can do the same. For example during the end of spring into the summer it would be the ideal to post shorts, tank tops, and sundresses. While in the time during Fall and winter it would be ideal to post pants, sweaters, and coats. 

4. Be Realistic When Setting Prices 

Just like you’re trying to make money the people on the other end making the purchases are trying to save money. That’s why when you’re setting prices you need to make sure that you’re realistic because if you set your prices to high nobody is going to want to buy anything.  It its horrible to know you paid $100 for something last year and now its worth maybe half the price because its old or went out of style but that’s just one of the consequence of the constantly changing fashion industry. So if you want to make sales you’re going to need to make sacrifices and let things go for less then you would have hoped.

5. Do Use This as an Opportunity to Make a Big Profit

Selling online gives you a great opportunity to make a lot of money. Take for example the anticipation surrounding the release of the newest Yeezys or the latest shade of Kylies Lip kit. These are both products created in limited amounts to increase profits and popularity. The point of them is that they are difficult to get, which increases peoples interes. So when they can’t get them at retail price but still want them, they are willing to pay more. A pair of Yeezy 350s retail around $200 but on Flight club, a Retail and consignment store for exclusive sneakers, a size 6.5 women’s Yeezy 350 costs around $2,200. That’s more that 10 times the profit, which is why millions of people wait by their computers for hours and line up for days to get their hands on a few of these limited items, with the idea from the beginning that they are just going to sell them. They weren’t lying when they said It takes money to make money!