13 going on 30 closet?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
13 going on 30 closet?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios
Style

Finding Your Personal Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Colette Barron

Finding your style will continue if you, like me, have experienced several fashion shifts over the past few months. Our styles vary dramatically over time, which ultimately boils down to our changing personal preferences. As our fashion choices change, so too do our identities. We use fashion to express our personality and sense of self, and the choices we make can reflect how we want to be seen by others. Sometimes it can be tricky to reflect our personalities, interests and expressions through our style. Here are some ways to find your personal style.

1. Step out of your comfort zone 

This can be challenging. Even though we embody our style in almost every aspect of our lives, staying with something we aren’t 100% confident about or feels unnatural is not worth the time and effort. If you need more confidence in your style, it doesn’t reflect you. Taking a step out of your comfort zone could help you grow as a person. In addition, it can help you try new things and give you a better appreciation for what you’re used to. As a result, taking on challenging things means not caring what anyone thinks. Consider those bold earrings or high boots. Or try on that dress you thought was too fancy. Try it out if it makes you feel comfortable and speaks to you. Your brain doesn’t lie to you, it follows your preferences.

Beneficial sites for stepping out of your comfort zone:

• Depop– Resold clothing (Often refurbished/reconstructed!)
  • Urban Outfitters – Great experimental/wild pieces!
  1. Build upon small elements of personal interest

By starting small and gradually building up, it can be easier to take risks and embrace something new. This can help to build confidence in trying something different and can open up a whole range of possibilities. This relates to looking at elements you admire and incorporating them into your wardrobe. For example, if you have a shirt with lace detailing you really love, experiment with lace. From there, you can opt for a more soft/coquette style, or a more classy, or Gothic style. By starting with small elements of desire, you can build upon traits that piece together your style. Experiment with different patterns, detailing, shapes, etc. until you find what you like/suits you best. By doing so, you will be able to determine which components go together most well with you, creating a distinctive style for yourself.

Small elements of interests examples:

• Different icons/logos (hearts, stars, etc.)
  • Different jewelry shapes (chainlink, pearls, etc.)
  • Boot length/shape (chunky, flat)
  • Nail shape/design (long, short, matte, glossy)
  • Different fabrics (lace, fishnet, etc.)

Showcasing personal interests 

You can showcase your music, TV, etc. taste through your fashion to express who you are – making your style authentic. By wearing clothes and accessories that reflect the music, TV shows and other media you love, you can create a unique look that is an extension of your personality and interests. This can help you stand out from the crowd and make a statement about who you are. Wearing clothes and accessories that reflect you can be a great way to start conversations and form new relationships. It also allows you to show off your creative side and express yourself uniquely and individually. This level of self-expression can be empowering and boost your confidence.

Ultimately, fashion is a form of self-expression. This is because our style choices can be used to communicate who we are and what kind of message we want to send out to the world. For example, we might choose to wear a certain outfit or hairstyle to show off our sense of creativity or to emphasize our love for a particular culture. Ultimately, fashion is a way for us to express ourselves and show the world who we are. To accomplish this, we can try to find clothes and accessories that express our individual style and make us feel confident. Experimenting with different looks can help us find the perfect style.

Colette Barron

Manhattan '23

Hi! I’m Colette and I’m from Long Island NY. I’m a Junior and I’m a communication major with a concentration in public relations with a minor in psychology. I’m interested in fitness, health & wellness, beauty as well as fashion and thrifting! I’m excited to be part of HerCampus at MC! :)