Style

Environmentally Friendly Clothing Brands You Need to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Did you know that the fashion industry is one of the most polluting industries in the world? Fashion production is the cause of about ten percent of our carbon emissions. It also dries up water sources and pollutes rivers and streams. That is why it is super important to shop from environmentally friendly clothing brands when possible. Here are four environmentally friendly clothing brands!

Alternative Apparel 

Alternative Apparel is perfect for all of your basics! They are especially known for their comfy sweatshirts, sweatpants and tshirts. Most of their clothing items are crafted with organic and recycled materials, low-impact dyes and water conserving washes. On average this company saves 2,100 trees, 860,000 gallons of water and 400 cubic yards of landfill each year. So if you looking to stock up on basics that are good for the environment definitely check out their website! They have a twenty percent off coupon when you sign up for their emails. 

Patagonia 

Patagonia is perfect for outdoor clothing and activewear.  They are best known for their organic cotton and environmental sustainability. Patagonia was one of the earliest brands in the activewear department that adopted the idea of using recycled materials. I would definitely recommend their sweatshirts and activewear. Even though it may appear on the pricier side, their products wash really well!

Levi’s 

Levi’s is a global leader in both denim and apparel. They are best known for their eco-friendly and sustainable practices like recyclable denim, ethically sourced cotton and innovations to reduce water use. They also try to give back to their workers and community organizations. If you need some new jeans definitely check them out online! They have a twenty percent off and free shipping coupon when you sign up for their emails. 

Thread 4 Thoughts 

Thread 4 Thoughts is perfect for all things activewear. They are best known for using organic cotton, recycled polyester and lenzing modal (comes from beechwood). Their factories make everything from sustainable production processes and have the highest certification of working conditions in the fashion industry. If you are looking for some new activewear definitely check them out online! They have a 20 percent off coupon when you sign up for their emails. 

All four of these clothing brands are leaders in the industry for being environmentally friendly. Three reasons you should try environmentally friendly when possible is because the quality reduces waste, it’s better for the planet and it’s better for the workers! Check out their websites if you need Christmas presents for your friends and family.

As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!