kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

All my life I’ve had to deal with dry skin. I’ve tried products after products to try and fix it. Later on in my life I developed eczema. I was so embarrassed by the red scaly patches all over my body, but I found a few tips and tricks along the way to help calm down my eczema flare ups.

1. Use Vegan Products:

Many products contain harsh chemicals that can strip your skin of its natural oils causing it to become dryer. Beware though, just because a product says “vegan” does not mean it is any safer to use. A website I like to use to help figure out if a product is safe or not is https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ .Even if the product is vegan or not, Skin Deep will tell you how hazardous the ingredients are based on a scale of 1-10. Also, beware of lotions and soaps with strong fragrances. Those can be an irritant as well.  

2. Use Lukewarm Water:

For me, this was the hardest part because I love to shower in steaming hot water. Sadly, hot water is super drying and can cause your eczema to flare up even more. If you’re someone like me, I always have eczema patches on my hand, so use lukewarm water when washing your hands too.

3. Allergy Medication:

Allergens like dust, pet dander, and pollen can also cause your eczema to flare up. This is why I like to take Claritin everyday or you can take whatever allergy medication works best for you.

4. Develop A Skincare Routine:

I also like to start off my routine by showering with a hydrating body wash. After you shower make sure to pat dry your skin. Once my skin is dry I’ll apply a moisturizer that is specifically meant to hydrate. I’ll also apply an eczema cream to my irritated eczema patches.

5. Know Your Triggers:

It’s always good to know what causes your eczema to flare up. I know for me, the winter season really aggravates my skin. Since the winter months are so dry, I try to apply a moisturizer multiples times throughout the day just to rehydrate my skin. Other triggers may include allergens (that’s where the allergy medicine comes into play,) certain scents, detergents, lotions, and soaps.

Christina Trichilo is a transfer student at Manhattan College. She is a third year student majoring in psychology, and minoring in women and gender studies. She enjoys reading poetry, a good cup of coffee, and listening to Beyoncé's I Am... Sasha Fierce album.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!