Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Is Dating Someone with Different Political Views Possible?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

With the ongoing issues in our society right now, politics are a huge thing. Many people have very strong and opposing opinions about political issues. This ranges from everything such as abortion, the economy, immigration, race, and more. There’s also an election coming up in the United States in November, and it’s going to be a very critical and important election. Now more than ever, politics are the driving subject of rifts between families, friends, and romantic relationships. So here’s a big question that I’ve found myself thinking about a lot lately; can you be in a successful relationship with someone who has different political views than you?

I think that it honestly really depends. I’ve seen some couples and marriages that work out just fine knowing their partners have opposing political views, while some crash and burn. Most, if not all successful relationships, are built on trust and respect. With that being said, you must respect your partner and their political views if things are going to work out. Listening and communication is key. It’s so easy to get angry when you disagree on an issue, but listening will let your partner know that you not only respect their opinion, but you respect them as a person. You also might learn something and adopt a different stance on an issue that you might not have considered before. You will become more open-minded and more aware of different perspectives by doing this. If you have a loving, respectful, partner that you enjoy being around, then there are definitely ways to work around these issues. 

However, on the other side of the spectrum, I think that it depends on the person and the issue at hand. Certain topics, such as abortion and racial issues, may hit close to home, and more often than not, people have a strong stance on these issues. If your partner is not going to respect your gender, race, class, etc., then it might be time to rethink whether this relationship is going to be the two of you arguing constantly. 

So, there really is no black and white answer to this question. Different political opinions are not necessarily the end all be all of a relationship. In the end, it’s up to you and your partner, and what you feel is right to handle the situation.

Molly Prior

Manhattan '21

Molly Prior is a senior at Manhattan College studying communications and journalism. With a passion for women's empowerment and lifestyle, she hopes to write for a magazine such as Cosmopolitan or Women's Health.