element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Brightening the Start of the Christmas Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The Christmas season has finally arrived at Manhattan College starting with the lighting of our Christmas tree in front of Memorial Hall on Monday night. The annul tradition at Manhattan College is preceded with the stringing of lights all around campus and smaller trees in our residence halls to officially kickoff the season. In honor of our tree lighting, here are 5 famous tree lightings around the country as well as the world:

1. The Rockefeller Christmas Tree, New york, New York: This ceremony, which is on December 3, 2014 features many musical artists such as Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett, and ends with the lighting of the 130 ton Christmas tree.
  2.  The U.S National Christmas Tree, Washington D.C: This tree lighting is complete with a local children’s choir singing carols, and various speakers about the this magical time of year.
  3. The Christmas Tree at La Galerier Lafayette, Pars, France: This over the top tree with over 10 stories of lights surrounding it draws more tourists than the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower around the holiday season.

4. Neon Christmas Tree displayed on the façade of the Grand Prince Hotel, Tokyo Japan: This Christmas tree is not your typical evergreen with twinkling lights, but rather a modern twist on a traditional practice.
  5. Christmas “tree” display, Gubbio, Italy: The world’s largest display rises on the slopes of Monte Ingino outside of Gubbio, in Italy’s Umbria region. It has 500 lights connected by 40,000 feet of wire.

Make sure you check out a Christmas tree lighting near you to really get into the holiday spirit!