This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By: Mackenzie Boyce

I think it’s about time we destigmatize the word “birth control.” As a society, I think people often forget that birth control is used for a variety of health reasons, and can be benificial in ways other than just preventing pregnancy. According to the CDC, about 65 percent of women in the United States use a form of birth control, so why are we ashamed to talk about it? When I first spoke to my doctor about starting to use hormonal birth control, I was shocked to find out how many products I had never known about. So here is a quick breakdown of the various types of hormonal birth control to help you decide what the best is for you. 

Combined Pill

According to the CDC, 12.6 percent of women aged 15-49 currently take a birth control pill. While this may be the most common form we think about, it is not the only one that exists. The contraceptive pill contains versions of oestrogen and progesterone, which ultimately prevents a woman from ovulating, therefore being 99 percent effective against pregnancy. One of the reasons this is most used is for the various other benefits it can have. The pill is often used to regulate a heavy or painful period, and in some cases can be used to prevent acne. One of the most difficult parts of using this method is that you must be prepared to work with your gynocologist to discover what pill works best for you, and you also need to actively remember to take it if you want it to remain at it’s most effective level. It is also important to note that this does not protect against STDs, and you should still take the necessary precautions to protect yourself.

IUD

An IUD is another method which can be more than 99 percent effective if used properly. They must be inserted by a doctor, and can be effective for five, or even ten years. While an IUD does come with it’s commonly known downsides, such as it’s painful insertion and the checks that must be done to ensure it does not fall out, it does have so many benefits. An IUD must be fitted to your specific body, and following insertion will release progestogen, preventing pregnancy. IUDs can be a great long term option, and does not come with the hormonal side effects that the combination pill may cause. However, it is important to do research and speak with your doctor, as there can be some risk of infection or damage to the womb.

Implant

The implant is another method that is over 99 percent effective, and does not need to be replaced for three years. The implant is inserted under the skin, and releases progestogen, similarly to an IUD. This can be removed easily at any time if side effects are experienced, and lasts for three years, when it must then be replaced. This is great for those who cannot use oestrogen, forget to take a pill daily or would like to regulate a heavy or painful period. The disadvantages are similar to other methods, as it still does not protect against STDs, can have side effects including acne or may cause your period to stop all together.

Injection

The controceptive injection is exactly what it sounds like: a hormone injected into the bloodstream to prevent pregnancy. If used correctly, this can be over 99 percent effective. The injection must be repeated every eight to 13 weeks, which can be helpful for those who do not want a daily method, but do not want something long term, like an IUD or implant. The injection also used progesterone, which can be great for women who are unable to use oestrogen based birth controls. Like many options, there can be side effects, including weight gain, mood swings and irrgular bleeding. It is important to note that upon stopping the injection, it can take up to a year to return to your original fertility level. It can be helpful in regulating a heavy or painful period, but once again does not protect against STDs.

The Patch

The contraceptive patch is a sticky patch that goes on the skin, usually placed on the arm, and releases hormones into the body. The patch must be changed every week, for a span of three weeks, followed by a rest week with no patch. The patch is waterproof, so it does not need to be constantly thought about until it comes time to change. It has the same hormones as the combined pill, and works relatively similarly, just eliminating the daily dose aspect. The patch has positive effects, such as eliminating painful or heavy periods, and can also protect against ovarian, womb or bowel cancer. However it may not work properly for those who are over 35 years old, smoke or weigh over 210 pounds.  There are many more options of hormonal birth control, such as the vaginal ring, IUS or progestogen only pill. There are also many methods for women who do not wish to use a hormonal form, such as the male condom, female condom, caps and diaphragms, as well as the permanent option of sterilisation. This website is a great resource to read about the various methods of birth control, and meeting with a doctor is a great way to narrow down the options that will work best for your body. In the end, birth control is nothing to be ashamed of, and it’s about time we make women aware of the methods that exist.

Mackenzie Boyce

Manhattan '24

Mackenzie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at Manhattan, and loves being able to read and edit the chapter’s articles before they are published. Mackenzie is a senior at Manhattan College studying childhood and special education with concentrations in English and French. She is originally from Connecticut but loves having the opportunity to live in NYC for school. Mackenzie is also a member of the sorority Sigma Delta Tau on campus. She is also part of the education honors society, Kappa Delta Pi, and French honors society, Pi Delta Phi. She is also an admissions ambassador and can be spotted around campus giving tours to incoming students. She is also currently completing her student teaching this semester in fifth and first-grade classrooms at a local Bronx elementary school. Mackenzie loves having the ability to use writing as an outlet, whether that means writing about fashion, music, pop culture, or mental health. She is so thankful to have found a home with Her Campus at Manhattan and hopes anyone reading can gain knowledge or inspiration from her work.