This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Tattoos are a big decision that you can make to alter your body when you become an adult. I personally love meaningful tattoos and asking people the story behind their tattoos. Here’s a list of some of the best meaningful tattoos that I’ve seen!

Semicolon Tattoos

I’ve seen a couple of people who had this and it’s one of my personal favorites. Its a sign for the awareness of mental illness and suicide, to not end your life with a period, but to keep going and add a semicolon.

Family Members Handwriting

Getting a phrase that a loved one has written is a great way to remember them and keep them with you after they have passed.

I am Greater Than My Highs and Lows

Personally, I have this tattoo and I have wanted this tattoo since I was 14. It describes my relationship with type one diabetes. I got this tattoo in symbols, I >↑↓.

Religious Inspired Tattoo

Whether it be a cross, star of David, hilal, etc. If you are committed to your faith and what you believe in, this is a great way to show it.

Important Dates

Important dates are also a great way to remember a day that was celebrated and that will impact your life forever. Getting them in roman numerals is super classy and so cute.

Getting a tattoo is a big decision, so I hope this list inspired you to get one that’s meaningful to you!

Bridget Turro

Manhattan '23

Bridget is a sophomore at Manhattan College. She is majoring in political science and minoring in woman and gender studies. She loves animals, traveling and exploring NYC.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!