This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

We all love a good movie night in with the girls. Some of the best movies that you can watch with your girlfriends are the ones that inspire you to be the best woman you can be. Movies and entertainment in general can have a powerful influence on our attitudes towards certain subjects in society. Although there was a time that the movie business was dominated by male directors and ownership, that time has long passed. That’s why, when super empowering movies for women come out, they’re usually amazing! Here are a few movies that I consider to be some of the best for women’s empowerment:

Legally Blonde: 

A classic. Elle Woods proved that she was more than just a pretty face. She didn’t care what anybody thought of her, and successfully made it through Harvard Law School while solving a murder case. She showed that a woman shouldn’t have to change herself in order to be successful, and she didn’t need a man either!

Iron Jawed Angels: 

This movie is all about the process of how women earned the right to vote in the 1920’s in America. It shows all of the struggles and triumphs that they went through in order to obtain their human rights. It truly is an inspiring story, and you will really feel all of their emotions throughout the movie; happiness, anger, love for each other, and more.

Little Women: 

Though the story has been retold many times, including the recent Oscar winning adaptation, the premise stays the same. Four young women growing up, all with different personalities trying to find their way in the world through the Civil War. Jo March shows her strength and the meaning of being different during the time, while Meg shows the other side of the story; how it’s also still ok to fall in love and get married. The message demonstrated for women in this story is that you can write your own story, and can choose whatever path you want!

Wonder Women: 

She was the first popular female superhero and embodies what it means to be a strong woman. She fought her way through the first world war, and was stronger than all the men, both physically and mentally. She is truly unstoppable throughout the whole movie. 

Sex and The City: The Movie: 

I mean, let’s be honest. The actual content of this movie really wasn’t that great, but it was a true testament to what “Sex and the City” is all about: not being afraid to be yourself, and that female friendships are the most powerful thing. You always have to be able to pick up your girls when they’re down!

Molly Prior

Manhattan '21

Molly Prior is a senior at Manhattan College studying communications and journalism. With a passion for women's empowerment and lifestyle, she hopes to write for a magazine such as Cosmopolitan or Women's Health.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!