Celebrities Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Celebrities Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith / Justin Bieber / Hailey Baldwin Bieber / Pink / Lizzo

Being Social while Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Finding it hard to come up with ways to stay connected with friends or your significant other while everyone is practicing social distancing? Below I left a few things I have been doing to keep up a new virtual social life!

Stay active in group chats

Whether it be a group chat with your best friends or people who live in your hall, keep the conversation going. There are many friendships that seem so strong because we see those people everyday. Put in the effort, I promise it is always worth it! Maybe you haven’t heard from a particular friend or loved one recently… give them a call. I’m sure they would be thrilled to hear from you and know that someone is thinking of them!

FaceTime/Google Hangouts/ Zoom (bigger groups)

Video Chatting is the new norm! We use it for class, group projects, catching up with friends and now for anything that’s considered social these days! From workout classes, to happy hours, to game nights and much more!

Netflix Party / Airtime

Annoyed you can’t have anymore movie date nights or can’t finish your new netflix show with your besties? If it’s on Netflix you can now watch movies/TV shows at the same time through Netflix Party! As long as you download the extension to your Google Chrome it should work like a charm! Airtime has a similar feel, but is more for Youtube & music group streaming.

Virtual workouts

Some of my favorite instructors & fitness companies have switched to virtual classes, which has become one of the best things out of being quarantined! Many of them are offering either free classes or just asking for Venmo donations for Instagram live streaming or sending out zoom links. My favorites have been Corepower Yoga on demand videos & the variety of different workouts through Orangetheory’s fitness app.

Eventbrite

Eventbrite has something for everyone! From virtual 5k’s to Intro Classes of all hobbies, there are no excuses for being bored while stuck at home. Majority of them are free and in a group video chat setting.

Book club/Study Groups

Many of my friends have been taking up their extra time at home with reading books from their favorite author or got a head start on studying for major exams that they have coming up! Start a virtual study group for your next online exam or chit chat while completing homework assignments together!

Pen Pals

Sending physical letters seems so ancient these days, but everyone loves getting mail! It is something that is so unexpected and has a small thrill. If letters aren’t your thing try sending a small unprompted gift to lift someone’s mood.

Get outdoors

Six foot distance! Enjoy fresh air for as long as you still can. I’ve been walking on the beach or running through my local park. Being in a public area you will encounter people, but if you stay a safe distance away you can still enjoy a mild stroll with a friendly neighborhood friend.

Date night

Social distancing is hard especially when you have to be apart from someone who you hold extra dear to your heart! Try to spice things up and remember communication is key! Netflix Party might substitute for movie night, facetime calls always brighten anyone’s day and you can even  try ordering from the same restaurant for a virtual dinner date!

Celebrate milestones & keep up regular traditions

Do not let covid-19 destroy all your plans for the upcoming months! Postpone events that were originally planned for the upcoming weeks, virtualize as many as you can and even plan new ones for the future. Have your virtual happy hours after a long week, still make time for lunch dates or coffee chats, host game nights and never let special dates go uncelebrated!

Hope everyone is staying safe & healthy during this crazy time. xx

Dayna McGinley

Manhattan '22

Dayna is an Accounting & Marketing double major. She's an Irish girl who loves everything lilly, beachy & especially pearls!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!