This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Vaiden Ferarro

New York City is often referred to as the “city that never sleeps,” with constant movement and streets that never seem to clear up, regardless of the hour. As college students, especially for freshman new to New York, it may be difficult to adjust to the hectic city life; however, within the boroughs that make up New York City, there are many beautiful spots that provide peace, allow for solitude, and can be used as a place to study.

I am a commuter and live in Whitestone, Queens; however, I grew up in Saugerties, a small town in upstate New York. For those reading who are unfamiliar with Saugerties, it is the neighboring town to Woodstock and is known for its incredible views of the Catskill Mountains, various hiking trails, and the town itself (which consists of a variety of  restaurants, antique shops, boutiques, and numerous coffee shops). After leaving Saugerties, a quaint and quiet town, and moving to the metropolis of New York City, I was in search of places that provided some of the quiet that I was missing from home. Some of my favorite spots include Central Park, The New York Public Library, and Flushing Meadows Park. 

Central Park, located between the Upper West and Upper East Sides of Manhattan, is a common spot to visit when going to the city. However, despite being one of the many tourist attractions, it is a great place to sit with a cup of coffee and a book. The park is 848 acres that consist of meadows and open fields. In Central Park, there are many opportunities for individuals to carve out their own peaceful spot, whether to attend a yoga class, rent a Citi Bike, hit baseballs on one of the many fields within the park, go on a picnic with friends, or simply be alone and take in the beauty that the park offers. Central Park is an unforgettable experience, an oasis within a crowded city. 

The New York Public Library, located on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, is another spot that I would recommend to college students looking for a place to study or find a good read. This building is made up of four floors with a lot of space for studying. It is a beautiful, peaceful, and quiet place to study without distractions. There are also many special events at the library, which can be researched on their website.

Lastly, because I live in Queens, it is only right that I add Flushing Meadows Park to the list of peaceful places in New York City. It is my favorite spot to run during the fall and spring seasons. For those who enjoy staying active because it is their outlet to find peace, I would highly recommend visiting this park as there are so many places to bike ride, play soccer or tennis, golf, and go for walks or runs. 

To find peace in the city, define what makes you happy first. There is sure to be a spot in New York City to foster that peaceful vibe.  

Vaiden Ferraro

Manhattan '25

Hi! My name is Vaiden Ferraro, and I am a rising sophomore at Manhattan College. I was born and raised in Saugerties, New York and currently live in an apartment in Whitestone, Queens. I'm a double major in Political Science and English with a minor in Spanish. I have interests in health and fitness, personal growth, and fashion. I'm looking forward to opportunities to expand friendships and connections through Her Campus.