Life > Experiences

A Beginner’s Guide to College Career Fairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Attending your school’s career fair can be one of the most beneficial experiences of your college career. While the idea of networking with professionals in your dream job is exciting, it can be equally daunting as well. Don’t worry – you’re not alone. Whether you’re a freshman looking for networking experience or a senior looking for your first full-time job, this list has everything you need to prepare for your first fair. 

Meet with a career counselor or PCA  (peer career advisor) at your college to review your cover letter and resume. 

PCAs and career counselors are a great, free resource on most campuses. At Manhattan, we have both available within the Center for Career Development, located in Thomas Hall. They’re able to help you make and update your resume and cover letter, and provide you with interview prep and skills. Even just one half-hour-long meeting can be so helpful in pointing you in the right direction. These meetings can help you feel confident and prepared for applying for jobs and attending the career fair. Employers at the fair may ask you for paper copies of your resume or will ask you to upload it using a QR code online, so you want to make sure you have everything ready ahead of time. 

Make sure you have a good business casual/business formal outfit to wear.

This is one of those times that the nicer you dress, the better. If you’re confused about what is considered business-appropriate attire, there are many sources online, but here’s a little crash course. Business formal attire prohibits jeans and sneakers. It usually includes nice skirts (no shorter than above the knee), dress pants, heels, loafers, closed-toe shoes, blouses, and even blazers (if you have one). Business casual allows for unripped jeans and clean-looking sneakers, paired with a nicer top, nothing cropped or with a low neckline. Sometimes, to ensure students are dressed appropriately, colleges will impose a business formal dress code for career fairs, so be sure to know what your school’s expectations are before you attend. Employer’s first impressions of you often come from appearance, which is why it is so important to be clear on what appropriate clothing includes. If you find yourself without a pair of dress pants or a blouse, H&M, Forever 21, and Zara all have affordable options for a new, dressier outfit. If price is still an issue, some colleges, including Manhattan, have a public closet you’re able to rent dress clothes from, free of charge. 

Familiarize yourself with the companies coming.

Usually, the career center or whoever is putting together the event will have a master sheet of the companies coming to campus. Do research about the companies you’re most interested in ahead of time so you have a game plan and conversation points for those important few that you’re targeting. 

Formulate your elevator pitch. 

While this can seem daunting, it’s really easy to formulate once you have the bullet points of your resume down. My recommendation is to follow a three C’s model. This includes being concise, clear, and compelling. If you only had a minute in the elevator with someone, you’d want to focus on the most interesting aspects about yourself, while still covering the important information (name, year, major) that they need to know. It’s worth noting that while this is a great way to first introduce yourself to employers, don’t be afraid to let the conversation open up. Feel free to ask recruiters questions – remember, the conversation is going to be guided by you. Recruiters will give back the same energy you give them, so be positive, attentive, and active in your conversations. 

At the fair, pick up a map. 

This will allow you to set up a game plan for what companies you want to speak to first. 

It will help you target where you want to go and will prevent you from wasting time walking around looking for a specific table. When creating your plan, aim to go to your lower-interest-level tables first. This will allow you to “warm up” and make you feel extra confident when you finally get to speak to your top choice!

Remember to stay calm and breathe.

Recruiters are people too, and were standing in your shoes not too long ago. They understand the anxiety that can surround the job search and putting yourself out there. They’re here because they want to talk to you and hear what you have to contribute as a potential employee. Take a deep breath and be yourself. Remember that simply taking the steps to prepare for and attend the career fair sets you apart from your peers! 

Follow up with recruiters after the fair. 

If there was a company you spoke with that stuck out to you, don’t be afraid to reach out via email thanking them for their time. This shows you care and you’re organized while bringing your name (and resume) to the forefront of their minds once again. Even if the position you’re interested in doesn’t work out, this can open the door for potential employment in the future. 

Grace Cardinal is the Social Media Editor at the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter. She loves designing Instagram posts on Canva to promote her team's work. Apart from Her Campus, Grace works as the Editor-in-Chief of The Quadrangle Student Newspaper and as the Assistant Lifestyle and Opinions Editor for the fashion magazine on campus, Lotus. She is currently a junior and is majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations and a minor in political science. In her free time, Grace loves taking dance classes at Broadway Dance Center and finding new coffee spots around the city. She's always down for a night in or out with her friends. Grace has been passionate about writing since childhood and she hopes you enjoy her content!