Big 3 Astrology?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Big 3 Astrology?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Wellness

A Beginner’s Guide To Astrology 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Siena DeMarco

Have you been looking to the stars for guidance, but are unsure where to start? Don’t worry, in this guide I’ll break down five major aspects of your birth chart, and help you get started on building your astrological profile.

Sun Sign

Your sun sign is the easiest to find out. The only thing you need to know is your birthday. Our calendar year is divided into twelve different astrological signs, which are often colloquially referred to as “seasons” (right now, we’re entering into Pisces season). You can find out which astrological season you were born in here. Sun signs represent identity, the ego and the way you express yourself. Your sun sign can help to illuminate your natural gifts as well as your inherent weaknesses. The traits of your sun sign make up the core of who you are. If you think about your astrological profile like building a house, your sun sign is the foundation upon which everything else rests. 

Moon Sign

To figure out your moon sign, and the rest of the aspects mentioned in this article, you’re going to need a bit more information. You’ll need to know your time and place of birth (go ahead, text your mom) because the moon sign represents which constellation the moon was aligned with at your exact time of birth. After you gather your information, I recommend googling a moon sign calculator for quick results. While your sun sign is bright, shiny and apparent, your moon sign is much more personal. Many astrologers describe the moon as “the inner self” or the sign we’re most likely to see ourselves as. The moon rules our emotions, dreams and capacity for creativity. It can also help uncover our repressed desires and needs, teaching us the best ways to show up for others and ourselves. When discovering your moon sign, be prepared to dig deep.  

Rising Sign 

Have you ever had a new friend guess your star sign and been shocked by how far off they were? How could they ever think I’m an organized, structured Virgo, when I am clearly a scattered, free spirited Gemini, you wondered. The answer to this question might lie in your rising sign. Your rising sign is the sign that was ascending in the East at your time of birth. This sign is all about perception, impressions and style. It is often the sign people mistake you for at first glance. It can impact your appearance, your mannerisms and even the clothes you pick out. Usually, when somebody gets to know you better, this aspect becomes less relevant. However, learning and embracing the strengths and beauty of your rising sign can help you nail that important first impression. 

Venus Sign 

Venus is all about giving and receiving love. Your Venus sign is determined by which constellation was aligned with the planet Venus at the time of your birth. It rules all things beautiful and pleasurable, and can help inform your love language, your artistic taste, your aesthetic and even the sorts of gifts you like to receive. Venus shows what we love and how we show it, as well as how we approach relationships. Some Venus signs are more inclined toward commitment than others. So if you’re wondering if that crush of yours is ever going to move past the dreaded talking stage, you might want to sneak a peek at their Venus sign. 

Mars Sign

Your Mars sign brings passion into your life. Where Venus rules romance and flirtation, Mars rules sex and aggression. Whether it’s a matter of career ambitions, athletics, tackling a heavy workload or taking things to the next level with a romantic partner, Mars helps show you your plan of attack. Getting to know your Mars sign is important when it comes to regulating your anger, understanding your natural drive and recognizing what turns you on. We face little upsets every day or encounter situations that require extra energy and attention. Our Mars signs show us how we react to and overcome these challenges. 

Further Steps 

I hope this beginner’s guide helped you to get started on your astrological journey. If you want to take the next step, I recommend getting a birth chart drawn up and following some trendy astrologists. For detailed, easy-to-read, birth chart reports that give personal insights on your signs and planets, I recommend Cafe Astrology or Astro Charts. My favorite astrologists to follow on Instagram are @stalkalice and @Cancermoonintuitive. Hope you have an enlightening Pisces season! 

Siena DeMarco

Manhattan '25

Hi! I'm Siena, I'm a sophomore English major at Manhattan College with a love of writing, sappy poetry and reality tv. I’m the Assistant Campus Coordinator of our Her Campus chapter and am very excited for the year ahead! On campus, I’m also a member Alpha Pi Phi sorority where I serve as external programming officer. I care deeply about uplifting and supporting my fellow girls and am excited to continue to do so by joining Her Campus!