Working outside?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working outside?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

In my experience, it can be difficult to sit down for hours at a time to work on any assignment. You can easily get burned out if you don’t give yourself a break every once in a while. Although you might feel like you’re being unproductive when you give yourself that five minute break, remember, it is well deserved. The ultimate goal is to get away from a screen, whether that be your phone or computer, to allow yourself to properly decompress. Below I have listed a few ideas for your five minute breaks that do not involve scrolling through Instagram or TikTok. 

1. Make a cup of tea or coffee 

There’s nothing better than decompressing with a fresh brewed cup of green tea to soothe and calm your body. If you’re not a tea person, then run down to your favorite local coffee shop and get your favorite latte or coffee to go. 

2. Meditate

Sitting in silence to clear your mind, in my opinion, is one of my favorite ways to spend my five minute break. It may sound intimidating to leave yourself with your thoughts like that, but you shouldn’t knock it until you try it. Benefits of meditation include reduced stress, longer attention span, improved emotional health, and much more. 

3. Grab a snack

To avoid being distracted by a noisy stomach, it’s important to make sure you’re well fueled and energized while studying. I once saw this trick where you lay pieces of candy on every page as a kind of incentive to get you to finish your book. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, replace the candy with nuts or popcorn. 

4. Do some stretches or a quick workout

A quick five minute workout or stretch every hour is a great way to keep your body moving if you don’t have the time to block out an hour of your day for a workout. Stretching can be as simple as standing up and walking a lap around the library or doing a few squats and lunges in your room. Search YouTube for a more structured sequence. 

5. Journal 

I have always liked journaling, whether in the morning, at night, or in between study sessions. Writing down whatever may be occupying your thoughts besides the 50 history terms you need to know is a great way to clear your mind. 

I hope these tips prove useful to you while studying! Try them out and let me know what you think! If you have any other suggestions or ideas, feel free to let me know!  Follow me on instagram @janavclark and add me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/janavclark/

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!