16 Things They Don’t Tell You About Tattooed Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

“I realized [tattooing] is not only a part of pop culture, but a bit of a map on someone’s body; a part of their life, like an armor or a crest.” –Christian Louboutin

As a female with tattoos since the age of 16 (and a never ending tattoo-savings piggy bank), I have come across many people with many different connotations and ideas about young women with permanent ink etched in their skin. Passing along these noted sixteen observations can help save you or a loved one who might invest themselves in the tattoo culture. 

Self liberation? What’s that?

1. Clearly, your first tattoo marks the path to a life of toting guns and shooting dice

2. People will rightfully assume you have a bird, infinity sign, or heart from Pinterest hidden on your body. Because you’re a female… and that’s the only markings a tattooed girl wears. #JustGirlyThings

3. Feminine girls don’t have the pain threshold to get ink

The expression “beauty is pain” runs much deeper than just long nights in pink high heels and accidental eye pokes of mascara wands. A woman with tattoos can handle pricks. Pun intended.

4. “You’re too pretty to ruin your body”

5. “You’re too nice for a tattoo!”

6. The idea of tattoos as an expression of uniqueness is an ironic ploy to fit in, since everyone has one

7. You aren’t cuddly

A tattooed man is a romantic with a poetic and sensitive side, and a woman with a full sleeve is a hard-shelled bitch… makes sense.

8. Having tattoos suggests you lost your religious faith

9. “Did you research the translation a lot first?” No, actually, I thought it would be fun to take a blind leap.

10. Girls with tattoos are wild and easy. Pre, present, or post tattoo, there is still no interest, so please bring your drink and preconceived notions to someone else.

11. Tattooed parents will lead their children to the disease of tattoo corruption

12. You will regret them on your wedding day

13. You will regret them when you can’t find a job

14. You will regret them when you’re older

15. Actually, you will regret them all together, because making mature and valid decisions only come with a distinct age

16. Your tattoo has to have a long life-story symbolic meaning. Mmm yes post-modern reflections. *sips black coffee*

Tattoos express the sincerest form of dedication and loyalty, whether it is to a loved one, an idea, or maybe a moment; and they can’t be lost, stolen, or borrowed. While they decorate the body, they also deepen the soul, leaving a unique memento carried through life; inside and out. Whether or not you find women with tattoos to be a turn off, judgment is much more unnatractive. It’s 2015— get it together, and get tattoos. #HappyInking

Tasia (pronounced tuh-see-yuh... yes, like the greeting "good to see ya") Adamakos is a Sophomore at Manhattan College, majoring with a journalism concentration, and minoring in English. Potbelly pig enthusiast, and a firm believer on women drinking Jack Daniels over vodka sodas, she constantly dreams of living in Manhattan to be a famous food writer (which would hopefully entail more eating than writing). Follow her on instagram @tasia_adamakos