nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Songs To Put You In A Good Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Sometimes we may wake up on the wrong side of the bed or find ourselves in a funk that we cannot explain. Everybody has good days and bad days; an unfortunate fact of life that everyone goes through and something we just have to deal with. If you are not having the best day or week, what do you like to do to put yourself in a better mood? I live by the fact that music is medicine. Slow and sad tunes have their time and place, but if you are already in a bad mood, try to avoid anything that may just feed into that feeling. Even if I am not in the mood, I force myself to put on a playlist I cannot help but sing along to and that I know will brighten my spirits. Therefore, below I have accumulated a list of my top 10 favorite songs that I like to listen to when I am in need of a little pick-me-up. Hopefully you will enjoy listening to these songs as much as I do!

“Roar” – Katy Perry

Although not my vibe nowadays, this 2013 hit always brings me back to my middle school years and I cannot help but jam out. You will not only feel empowered, but your spirits will also be lifted by the time you finish listening to this song. 

**

“Sweet but Psycho” – Ava Max

“Sweet but Psycho” was definitely one summer hit that I could not stop playing on repeat. I only discovered this song just last year, but I have not been able to get it out of my head ever since. Whenever it comes on, I cannot help but burst out into song while my friends look at me like I am crazy. 

**

“Bad Guy” – Billie Eillish

Billie Eillish is probably one of the most iconic seventeen year olds I have ever known of. From her signature style of oversized shirts and hoodies to letting spiders crawl all over her in “You should see me in a crown,” her fans are always coming back for more. 

**

“Soundcheck” – Catfish and the Bottleman

As a regular concert-goer, I have seen a variety of amazing artists and musicians live. It is hard to choose which are my favorites, but Catfish and the Bottleman definitely made it to the top of my list. You realize how listening to a recording on your phone does not do any musician justice, especially when I got to hear “Soundcheck” live. 

“Come on Eileen” – Dexy’s Midnight Runners

This 80’s pop-rock anthem is the perfect singalong classic that will, without a doubt, put a smile on your face in an instant. 

**

“U Got My Heart” – Clément Leroux

Although probably not as well known by the general public, “U Got My Heart” is the kind of song with a catchy beat that will put a little spring in your step. Its smooth composition and overall good vibes is perfect for a chill but effective midday pick-me-up.

**

“The Less I know the Better” – Tame Impala

Whether I am feeling down in the dumps or like I am on cloud nine, Tame Impala has a song for every mood. I can never get enough of their unique sound and style that always has me coming back for more.

**

“Ride” – Twenty One Pilots

Everytime I listen to any song on the Blurryface album, it brings me back to late night summer drives in Texas with my siblings. I remember sitting in the back of my sisters car just staring through the roof at a dark sky filled with stars and 21P playing in the background. 

**

“Harvey” – Her’s

Let the infectious, upbeat sounds of Her’s fill your day with a shot of positivity. These feel good sounds will leave you bopping and in good spirits for the remainder of your day. 

**

“Here Comes the Sun” – The Beatles

I chose the best for last. This record not only helped me through some of my hardest times, but always has a profound impact on me that I cannot explain. In my opinion, an absolute masterpiece of a composition created in a way that sparks hope and faith in anyone listening. 

**

Whenever I listen to any of these songs, I cannot help but smile. Whatever I was upset about or stressing over before, just goes away. Every song has its own unique sound that I fall in love with, over and over again, every time I listen to it. There are a variety of artists, genres, and sounds out there, you just need to find the one (or many) that speaks to you. I hope this list of some of my favorite go-to songs whenever I am feeling down, will help lift your spirits too.

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!