Romantic Valentine’s Meals On a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Bedroom Picnic

There is nothing more romantic, when done right, than a bedroom picnic. It is also perfect for those celebrating Valentine’s Day in halls or searching for some privacy from friends in a big student house. Pile cushions and blankets on the floor where you want to eat for a comfortable place to sit, and start decorating. With the World Wide Web at our fingertips it’s so easy to find some cute and romantic decorations to create the perfect ambiance in your makeshift love nest. Amazon have some LED candles perfect for setting the mood without the risk of fire, at £4.25 for 12. They also mean that you can turn your main lights off, turn the lamps on, and with the addition of these candles, not be sitting in the darkness. Balloons and confetti (as a cheaper and easier alternative to rose petals) will complete the romantic vibe. It doesn’t matter what food you include, maybe your Valentine’s favourites, or just some delectable little nibbles but chocolate fondue is always a saucy end to any picnic. Heat your chocolate just before serving to make sure it is still gooey for your cut up fruit, marshmallows or biscuits.

Meal Deals

Meal deals are extremely popular in most major supermarkets now and give you the luxury feel, without the price tag. These supermarkets include Marks and Spencer’s, Tesco’s and our very own Sainsbury’s in Fallowfield. With fabulous deals all year round, Sainsbury’s are always generous when it comes to their microwavable meals. So if you can’t be bothered to cook for your beloved, make sure you woo them for a delicious, yet pocket pleasing, meal.

Cheaper Restaurants

Manchester is fabulous when looking for cheap and delicious places to eat. I have chosen three favourites for a meal under a tenner.

• Croma on Albert Square is one of my absolute favourite pizzerias; they serve all the normal pizzas and quirk it up with some more unusual toppings. These include a Peking Duck pizza and Tandori Chicken. Croma’s mains fall within the price range of £4.65 to £7.75.
  • Vman is a Vietnamese restaurant on Oldham Road with main meals starting at £6.25 and going up to £8.35. Although a little pricier than Croma, this restaurant includes a “Bring Your Own Bottle” policy, with a miniscule £1 corkage fee.
  • Lastly I would like to mention Common in the Northern Quarter, with main meals ranging from £4.50 to £8.50. This individual café encaptures the essence of the Northern Quarter with its indie décor and edgy menu.

Coupon Websites

Websites such as Groupon and Wowcher always have great deals for fun and romantic meals, for a fraction of the original price. Make sure that when looking these websites to check out all the additional details of the deal, such as expiry dates and extra costs.

Have a happy Valentine’s day, whoever you’re celebrating with! 

(Photo Credits: tumblr.com, pinterest.com)