Campus Celebrity – Tori Kerr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manchester chapter.

Tori (below right) is the Social Sec for Hockey at Manchester University, plays for the 1st hockey team and studies Pharmacy in her 2nd year (could she do any more?) She tells us about the job and how she manages to fit so much in to her week!

So Tori, how is it going as the hockey social sec?

I love it! (she smiles)

What is the best part of the job?

I think it has got to be seeing people have fun on a night out and knowing I helped to organise it. It’s a lot of work to sort everything out on the social side, but its fun and I get to do it with one of my best friends (Izzy pictured above left) so I’m lucky! I do feel proud to have been selected for such an important role within the club so I try to put my all into it to make sure everyone has a great time. I’ve also got to know so many more people within the club and in other sports clubs – Wednesday nights out are always my favourite!

What’s the worst part of the job?

Probably the definite hangover on Thursday mornings (laughs) and that I haven’t made it in to one Thursday morning lecture yet! (Looking very guilty!)

Do you enjoy playing for the 1st hockey team? Do you feel under a lot of pressure?

It is a lot of pressure as we’re playing against some of the top players in England, so I do feel nervous before a match. But it’s a huge sense of achievement and most of my close friends are in the 1sts with me. I really love hockey so playing at the top level makes it even better.

What position do you play?

I don’t want to say Left Back – people always say ‘left back in the changing rooms’ so lets say defence!

Do you ever get nervous about who’s watching you play?

Yeah definitely, I don’t really like playing infront of big crowds cause theres more pressure. I don’t even like playing in front of my parents because I feel like I need to make them proud – even my coaches make me nervous!

So would your perfect guy be a hockey or rugby player?

Hmm…. (she thinks for a bit) I don’t know who’s going to be reading this so better not answer that one!

I understand! So you study Pharmacy. How do you find juggling your pretty full time course and hockey?

It is hard work. I’ve probably spent more time playing hockey and organising hockey events than proper Uni work, which is quite worrying! I’m going to have to change that!

What do you like doing in your free time, not that you have any, but when you eventually get time off?

I love spending time with all my housemates – they’re lovely! Watching movies, shopping, going out and having lots of drinks!

And is your favourite night of the week AU on a Wednesday?

I wouldn’t say it’s my favourite venue but because all the hockey club are there and everyone has had so much to drink, there are always funny stories to tell! And obviously you could get worse than a room of sporty guys!

You definitely could! We’ve heard you had a busy summer travelling around Europe. Which city did you love the most and why?

Berlin and Prague, mainly because the nightlife and music were unbelievable! There was so much to do, great weather they’re such pretty cities.