Wellness

What your birth stone says about you…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Every single person has a birthstone that holds a special characteristic unlike another. Scroll below to find out the meaning behind yours and how to harness the traits of your birthstone to become the best version of yourself!

January: Garnet 

It is said that January babies tend to have vibrant personalities much like the color of the Garnet birthstone. This gemstone represents friendship, passion, health, and strong feelings of emotion. This stone is said to get its beauty from the goddess Persophone. Garnet is also known to protect travelers and guide you into finding the unknown. —So the next time you have a pop quiz you might want to have a Garnet stone near you!

Celebrities that share a Garnet birthstone: Dax Shepard, Mel Gibson, Bradley Cooper, Jermey Renner, Dolly Parton, and Oprah Winfrey.

February: Amethyst

People born within this month generally tend to be courageous and confident. This gemstone tends to be associated with royalty and nobility. Amethyst represents spirituality, happiness, and security. A fun fact revolving around Amethyst is that in Ancient Greece they would place the stone in goblets of wine to prevent intoxication and addiction. The Greek word “amethystos” translates to not drunk.

Celebrities that share an Amethyst birthstone: Shakira, Chris Rock, Tom Hiddleston, and Jennifer Aniston.

March: Aquamarine

Aquamarine is known for possessing calm traits. It is said that this specific stone can be used to help make new friends or reconcile old relationships. Aquamarine represents youth, honesty, and health. Aquamarine is associated with the water element and has ties to the gods Poseidon and Neptune, Sailors believed that drinking water which was near aquamarine would prevent seasickness. 

Celebrities that share an Aquamarine birthstone: Daniel Craig, Rebel Wilson, Jessica Biel, Justin Bieber, Jon Bon Jovi, and Eva Longoria.

April: Diamond

People born in April can tend to be very loving and affectionate. Diamonds are linked to fire and air elements. This particular birthstone is associated with the sun gods Apollo and Helios. Some powers of this birthstone revolve around fertility, courage, and strength. 

Celebrities that share a Diamond birthstone: Robert Downey Jr, Pharrell Williams, Jackie Chan, Paul Rudd, and Emma Watson.

May: Emerald

May has a special birthstone because of its history. The stone for this month is Emerald and apparently was one of Cleopatra’s favorite gems. Emerald’s are very similar to the aquamarine family and as such have ties to the water element. People born in May can be known for standing out and capturing the eyes of everyone in a room. Emeralds represent eternal life, fidelity, faithfulness, and loyalty. 

Celebrities that share an Emerald birthday: George Clooney, David Beckham, Megan Fox, Dwayne Johnson, Robert Pattinson, and Adele.

June: Pearl and Alexandrite 

June is one of my favorite birthstones -(but I’m a bit biased :) 

June is one of the months to have two birthstones (Pearl and Alexandrite). Pearls have an interesting background and are said to be tied to magic and folklore. It is known that Pearls have ties to water but what you might not know is that Pearls are said to be the tears of Aphrodite. The pearl symbolizes success, happiness, love, and purity. Supposedly the pearl birthstone is known to absorb emotions. 

Celebrities that share a Pearl birthstone: Ariana Grande, Angelina Jolie, Marilyn Monroe, Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, Heidi Klum, and Khloe Kardashian. 

July: Ruby

You might not know this but Rubies can be more valuable than diamonds. According to the Hindu religion, rubies are known as the “King of Gems.” Rubies would be worn by soldiers battling in Burma with the hopes of becoming invincible during battle. Rubies are associated with the fire element. People born in July tend to be wise, lucky, and devoted. This birthstone allows one self to overcome their fears and channel their strongest self. Based on Hindu religion, Rubies ward off negative energy and protect the wearer from evil magic.

Celebrities that share a Ruby birthstone: Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Lindsey Lohan, Jennifer Lopez, Selena Gomes, Margot Robbie, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Daniel Radcliffe.

August: Peridot and Spinel

August is one of the months to have two birthstones (Peridot and Spinel). Peridot does have ties to folklore and is associated with the air element and therefore the Goddess Pele. A fun fact related to Peridot is they are said to be the tears of the Goddess Pele. It is said that people born in August possess characteristics of strength and power. This birthstone is focused on balance and can be used to help prevent nightmares and gain a peaceful sleep. 

Celebrities that share a Peridot birthstone: Madonna, Jennifer Lawrence, Barack Obama, Mila Kunis, Cameron Diaz, Robert DeNiro, Michael Jackson, and Whitney Houston. 

September: Sapphire

The birthstone for September is Sapphire and is known to be a favorite of ancient kings. The Sapphire was popular among royalty because it is said to prevent poisoning. The Sapphire is tied to air and water elements. Common traits of someone born in September are purity, loyalty, trust, and wisdom. It is said that Sapphires increase one’s potential of psychic powers.

Celebrities that share a Sapphire birthstone: Will Smith, Nick Jonas, Hilary Duff, Adam Sandler, Prince Harry, Zendaya, Jimmy Fallon, and Gwyneth Paltrow. 

October: Opal

The birthstone for October is Opal and is unique because it is the only stone to have ties to all the elements. The opal is known to be connected to Zeus and represents purity, innocence, and hope. Opals are similar to Pearls in the regard that they absorb the energy around them. 

Celebrities that share an Opal birthstone: Zac Efron, Matt Damon, Bruno Mars, Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Ryan Reynolds, Usher, and Cardi B.

November: Topaz

November’s birthstone is Topaz and is tied to the air elements. This stone has a relation to the sun god Ra and Apollo. The topaz stone represents longevity, friendship, and wisdom. Not only is Topaz related to strength and intellect, it is said that it can prevent people from lying or gossiping about you. 

Celebrities that share a Topaz birthday are Leonardo DiCaprio, Chrissy Teigen, Whoopi Goldberg, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, and Bill Nye.

December: Tanzanite

December babies may be last but they certainly are not least. Here are some fun facts about your birth month. Common traits of people born in December are fidelity, love, and confidence. It is said that people born in this month tend to be early birds and get more tasks accomplished during the day. A survey was done which indicated that a majority of December babies are left handed. 

Celebrities that share a Tanzanite birthday are Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Taylor Swift, and Ryan Seacrest. 

Hi everyone! My name is Bianca Cain and I am a college student majoring in Forensic Investigations at Lynn University. My guilty pleasures are watching Gossip Girl, tanning, experimenting with new cooking recipes, and sipping on chai tea. I love to do pilates, yoga, reading, shopping, and spending time with friends. Some areas I am interested in learning more about are mythology, crystals, and astrology.