Career

What I Took Away From Being a College Student In a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Out of all my years of being in school, this year was my hardest. Yes, academics play a role in why this year was difficult for me but it was more situational. I am in my prime time days. I go to college in Boca Raton, Florida, which is located five minutes from the beach. Yes, sounds like a dream yet we are living in a world where places are either out of business or are limited to a certain amount of people. 

Everyone is wearing a mask and trying to not catch the virus. Our world does not feel like the same happy beautiful place. I am one of those people who cannot do “change.” Anytime during a situation where something has changed my life feels incomplete. I have a tough time adjusting to the “new” situation so you could only imagine how I feel, and I am learning that it is okay.

"THE WORLD IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED" movie sign
Photo by Edwin Hooper from Unsplash

The one thing that I took from this semester is learning to not only adjust to the “new world” but to also adjust mentally. I find that taking care of myself first will help me do better in life. 

My second semester of college for this year has been a little bit of a struggle on my part. Just like any other student, I find waking up at 8am just does not suit me, especially cause I have a hard time falling asleep at night. My classes are 2 hours and 30 minutes long which is a lot to pay attention to. Not only are these classes so long but they give so much work! To add, I also have a job where I work a few hours during the week just to keep myself busy–what helps me throughout the day is keeping myself busy. This has helped me adjust a little easier into the new world we are living in.  

My main tip is creating a schedule for yourself. I would go to class and do some work but I also leave room to take care of myself. Whether it is working out, laying by the pool, or just journaling, I found that all this helps. It is a way for my brain to recharge so I can get back to my academics and not feel so stressed out. 

Woman doing yoga with plants and candles
Photo by Zen Bear Yoga from Unsplash

I can say this was not easy and some days were the best and other days were not and I learned that it is okay to not have only good days. Having a bad day just leaves more room for happy days, and it makes me appreciate them even more. 

It took me a little bit to understand and adjust to this “new” world and I can say that I am doing fantastic! I just take one day at a time. I try to focus on what makes me happy and doing this helps me adapt to this world as a better, happier, and accepting person. I learned that change is not always going to be negative and that it can be a great thing, and it has been. I am going to be a Junior in college next year and not knowing what our world will be like in the Fall I feel confident that I can handle whatever comes my way because of how I was able to handle myself for this Spring semester. 

Kayla is currently a Senior at Lynn University majoring in Communications  with a focus on social media. Kayla spends a lot of her time participating in a variety of Lynn’s media outlets. Kayla has co hosted a weekly segment for the Lynn radio and for the past year has been a contributor on Her Campus Lynn social media and wrirting for the magazine.