Life > Academics

Trying to navigate your choices after college

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

I am sure we can agree that we have been asked multiple times what we’re planning to do with our future. In high school people would ask us what our plans were after school. This was a more simple question to answer if most of us consider going to college or university. Then once you’ve started university your plans change. You start to begin to think about the options you have after college. At this point, you might have one idea in your mind that you believe is the most logical best idea for you to do. By your second year, your mind might’ve changed and, lastly by your third year you may still be stuck on the same idea or you could’ve changed it again. But when the reality sets in, it starts to get confusing.

If you’re like me, and you’ve had your fingers in so many pies around college, and your college experience has been amazing because you’ve been so involved in many different activities. You start to become aware of many more opportunities there are after college. I would say for me, the last seven or eight months have been really difficult for me to try and figure out what I want to do after college. I feel as though I have been asked this question so many times in the last few months and my answer is the same thing. “ I have no idea”. Are used to having an idea, but it keeps on changing. I have seen that there are so many different opportunities and different paths to take that I honestly have no idea which direction to go. I’m in my senior year of college now and this is something That I’m sure the majority of people have already figured out but for me it is honestly the last thing on my mind. I am truly wanting to avoid it.

For me personally, I would say I have three options and to try and figure out which is the best most logical option that will make me happy and allow me to succeed in my career is extremely difficult. People also say that you mustn’t rush your last year of college because there’s no need once college is over. It is over there’s no going back. But I cannot help but think where do I go from here? I have done internships and had exposure to my industry and I’m not 100% sure that this is the path I want to take. For me coming out of college at the age of 22. All I want to do is travel. I want to see the world while I am young, but these are also some of the most vital years to start your career. At the end of the day what I am saying is that you’re not the only one who feels this way.

So from here on out, if you were in the same predicament as me, I think we should all do more in-depth research on different paths you can take in life because at, the end of the day, it will all work out. It may not work out now or in a year or two it may be in five. Sometimes I don’t even want to finish college but I think that’s just my comfort talking. The world is so wide and beautiful that I believe that we shouldn’t worry about where we are going or stress about meeting a milestone by a certain age because in reality, everybody is running on their clock. I don’t want to convince you to give up everything and go and do what you would love to do for fun because that’s not the way life works, we have to sacrifice some things in life for there to be a better outcome.

Suffer now if you are stressing about your life after college just take a step back take deep breaths and when you feel the time is right, start doing research, start applying for jobs, or start applying to different colleges. It will eventually come to your mind what you want to do. We’re so young so we don’t have to have everything figured out just yet. I mean after all, we are talking about our lives not, anyone else’s.

Lauren is an international student majoring in Hospitality Management. She is a very interactive, positive and friendly young lady who always gives of her best. She always wears a smile on her face and tries brighten up everyone’s day. She is very passionate about her home country and educating many young people about her beloved country.